Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Poor man's Twelve Caesars  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Poor man's Twelve Caesars
« on: January 23, 2020, 12:55:28 pm »
Probably the one book that got me hooked on collecting Ancients was the one by Ted Wear published way back in 1965 by Doubleday and a used copy can be had for about $5.00 today.
That is money well spent!
Got my copy out the other day to skim through it once again and thought I would share his insight on budget collecting of the 12 Caesars, a noble goal of any Roman coin collector.

In it there is a list for such..
Julius Caesar..denarius elephant and snake
Augustus small bronze
Tiberius bronze as
Caligula same
Claudius same
Nero billion Tetadrachma
Galba same
Othro same
Vitellius denarius
Vespasian billion Tetadrachma
Titus bronze as
Domitian same
"The total cost at the time was under $50"!! In today's money that's about $400.

Suppose one can "cheat" a bit and get two Caesars for one with provincial issue from Alexandria.
The same for Julius Caesar with Augustus.
Some others like, Vitellius would be hard to come by.
But I think can be done.
Ted Wears book is still a delight today and joy to read, never mind the sharp plates
from the American Numismatic Society!

Any other ideas?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Poor man's Twelve Caesars
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 03:17:27 pm »
The only one that I can see that would be difficult is the OthoDenarii are expensive, even for worn slugs.  Syrian or Alexandrian Tetradrachms are also very expensive, even for worn examples, and are actually hard to come by these days.  My own Otho is a Syrian Tetradrachm

You could upgrade to silver for Vespasian, Titus and Domitian without paying a premium.  Lot's of options for Tiberius, Caligula and Claudius in copper or bronze, especially provincials

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:51:43 pm »
Interesting.  I just completed my 12 with an Otho from Joe (thank you very much Joe).  All are silver (fine to very fine) except for Caligula, Claudius and Otho.  I totaled my  cost and it comes to $3147, which really is not all that bad over about 10 years.  I had money to burn with Julius and got carried away a bit,  but no regrets.  One can do the 12 without going hungry.  And remember, back in 1965, $50 was real money.  I'm looking for Ted Wears book, it should be fun to read.  Thank you
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 08:20:38 pm »
My first Otho was one of the few bronze provincials that I picked up from Joe. Since that time, I managed an Alexandrian tet and a very worn but attributable denarius of Otho. The problem with the tets/few provincials of Galba, Otho, and Vitellius is that their reigns were so short-lived that their portraits on non-imperial coins tend to be very generic, which sort of hurts a portrait gallery.

On Julius Caesar, my feel is that the captives/trophy coins are somewhat more manageable now than are the elephant/snake coins. I think the latter have become more 'iconic' for collectors, driving up the prices. Plus, I seem to see a lot more fakes of the latter.

Best,
Larry

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:07:17 am »
Thanks Guys for your replies and insight! Yes, most are easy to acquire, and a few one might have to compromise a bit to complete. Julius Caesar can also be had by a provincial issues of Augustus from Thessalonia with a portrait!
Suppose it all boils down on how much time one wishing to devote to the hunt! Half the pleasure of collecting is searching and finding.
Oh, don't know if anyone has Ted Wears book but if you want a copy it's available on Amazon for less than $5 pp!

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Coins-How-Collect-Profit/dp/B000OKDFIU/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=Ted+wear&qid=1579874713&sr=8-12

Here is an Amazon REVIEW

Norman Ferriere
5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Coins - A great Introduction to the Hobby
Reviewed in the United States on June 17, 2014
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This is a fascinating look into the world of Ancient (Greek and Roman) coins. The author's enthusiasm for his subject shines like a Lincoln Steel Penny, or in this case a Silver Drachma. He covers such topics as why Ancient coins have survived for 2,000 years or more, how they were made, the subjects (rulers, gods, creatures and more) depicted on them and how old does a coin have to be, to be considered "Ancient", anyway? The book also includes lengthy lists of Roman Emperors and their stellar (or not-so-stellar) reigns and lists of monetary units for both Greece and Rome. There is also an interesting chapter on what you could have bought back then and how much it would have cost you. One of my favorite things about this book are the profiles of collectors, both real and "types". The author's point is that collecting Ancient coins (and collecting in general, I suppose) should be fun and the collectors he features in this book are guided by their enjoyment of the hobby, not as an investment opportunity, which I find refreshing. You can't help but learn a lot about Ancient coins as well as some Greek and Roman History, along the way. There are also many photos of the coins, some with detailed captions. An excellent - and quick - read, and one I will be re-reading, very soon

Offline Canaan

• Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 01:57:28 pm »
 I have the twelve caesars poor man collection i have made it mostly last year and it costed around 200 USD, i was on the hunt most of the year,
Julius Caesar: A broken denarius
Augustus: denarius
Tiberius; Provincial AE (Still hunting a decent silver)
Caligula same
Claudius: Alexandrian tetradrachm
Nero AE As
Galba Alexandrian tetradrachm
Otho a very rare Alexandrian obol
Vitellius denarius
Vespasian billion Tetadrachm
Titus: Provincial AE ( still hunting a decent silver)
My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=44403
Your Numismatics tour guide in Israel

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:39:10 pm »
That's a KILLER group of Caesars! Fantastic catch and must of been fun to hunt for and satisfying.
I like each and every one of them😘👍.
That gives me the 👍 to start my own finished set myself.
Don't worry, won't be competing against you at all for these.
Very nice Otho and Caesar.....BTW...
Thanks for posting your coin story😜

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:16:16 pm »
I know I am in the minority but really prefer the "poor man's" 12 Caesars not abandon decent looking coins but to switch to twelve significant emperors that actually contributed to Roman history.  We will all differ on which twelve to select but Rome dd not end with Domitian and Suetonius was not the only Roman sourcebook.   Replacing 12 from the first century with three each from four different centuries will give a better overview of the Roman Empire and allow reasonably priced coins that are attractive and interesting.  Who knows, we could even take the cash savings and add a few other worthwhile names to our list abandoning the concept of 'just twelve'.  I'll change my mind tomorrow but, at this second, these are my twelve 'poor' coins for which the fiscally challenged among us can represent Rome as a balanced timeline.

Augustus   -  Nero   - Vespasian

Trajan   -  Hadrian   -  Septimius Severus

Valerian  -  Aurelian  - Diocletian

Constantine   -   Constantius II   -   Theodosius I

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:50:17 pm »
Another way to go about a 12 Caesars set is to consider doing it in a metal other than silver.  Because my main interest in US coins is in early copper issues, I decided to carry that passion over to my ancients (for the most part).

Putting a set together in copper (i.e., non-silver) is relatively simple and affordable.  One concession you'll need to make is that the coins of Julius Caesar and Otho will have to be from mints other than the one in Rome.

And if you want a portrait collection, these may both present a small problem.  The DIVUS JULIUS issues come from mints in Southern Italy or Thessalonica, with a somewhat stylized head.  Or you could wait for a lifetime portrait from either Bithynia or Lampsacus.  These don't come along that often and can get a bit pricey.

And for Otho, it will have to be a coin from Antioch with a portrait that really looks nothing like him.

Here is my set.

Craig

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 12:28:13 pm »
Thank you both! Doug, that's a splendid idea and one I already have put together. I agree on those standout Emperor's and might add one or two of my own.
Craig, an outstanding set collection in bronze and to very pleased and proud of, good job and thank you for posting it.
Beautiful. Lots of ways to collect and a budget for just about any purse.
This was a fun thread and happy hunting....oh. Collecting!👍

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 08:09:20 pm »
I've posted this before in the past but here is one way I can compile a 12 Caesar's in different metals and denominations.  It includes Anttony so 12 + 1.  Tough picking which ones to use:

Marcus Antonius denarius
Julius Caesar denarius
Augustus denarius
Tiberius denarius
Caligula AE As
Claudius AE As
Nero Dupondius
Galba AE As
Otho Tetradrachm
Vitellius denarius
Vespasian denarius
Titus denarius
Domitian denarius

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 10:40:10 pm »
Jay, another outstanding 12 Caesars and must of been very gratifying to have assembled. Very attractive specimens and especially like your Nero Victory and Augustus Bull! Finding that Marc Anthony....WOW and nice condition.
All coins very desirable.
What a blast....

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 11:16:13 pm »
Thanks Vincent, I had a lot of fun putting it together.  I could do them in all silver too, but not denarii

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 10:58:27 am »
Jay, for myself, I like the collection "all mixed up" and varied. It's way more interesting than just denarii of one denomination.
Very attractive display. It could be a plate photo in a book.
I can only image the stories you have locating some of them and the WOW factor after completing the purchase.👍

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 11:37:00 am »
I started off collecting just affordable denarii and provincial bronzes, but over the years that has changed and many of gone to Tetradrachms, which I am partial too.

My 12 caesars gallery is below.

I do have a few extras like Otho and silver Caligula in different galleries, but below is the coins I placed for a 12 caesars set.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3973
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 11:58:08 pm »
Another stellar set of Caesars, you all are making me envious of your collecting talents...good eye for nice coins

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 06:31:16 pm »
I've been off track with completing my 12 Caesars set, but this has made me more focused. Very nice +++

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 05:25:55 am »
I'll change my mind tomorrow but, at this second, these are my twelve 'poor' coins for which the fiscally challenged among us can represent Rome as a balanced timeline.

Augustus - Nero - Vespasian
Trajan - Hadrian - Septimius Severus
Valerian - Aurelian - Diocletian
Constantine - Constantius II - Theodosius I

Brilliant idea! Great choices.
Plus there is a little wiggle-room on a couple of the choices, and this could be
further adapted for almost any taste or direction for each individual collector.
Excellent!

- Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity