Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Levy of Legions  (Read 1550 times)

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
A Levy of Legions
« on: January 23, 2020, 03:21:18 am »
Over the past weeks to months I have added to my Legionary Denarii collection. Here I present a few of my more recent acquisitions along with a bit of info about them. I'll add them individually to my gallery when I get the chance over the next few days. For now, the group image is attached below.

Upper Left - A pretty clear example of Marc Antony's LEG XI. Acquired from one of our own members. The obverse of all of the Antony legionary denarii depicts a praetorian galley and has the text ANT AVG III VIR R P C - indicating that Antony is an Augur (not Augustus as would be standard for AVG later) and Triumvir (Three men for "restoring the republic" - tresviri rei publicae constituendae).  

Upper Right - I spotted this example of the very rare Marc Antony LEG XVIII LYBICAE. It was part of a lot of 3 legionary denarii, the other two were illegible, but this one alone made the lot a great value. While much of the text is off flan, the XVIII is clearly there on the reverse and the bottom of LYB can be distinguished.

Lower Left - The most common of the Septimius Severus legionary series is LEG XIIII GEM M V (Gemina Martia Victrix - Twinned, Martial, and Victorious). Since this legion proclaimed Severus Imperator, he honored them in silver and bronze (as we'll see below). Like others in the series, the exergue of the coin (TR P COS) celebrates Severus as Tribune of the Plebs and Consul. This particular example exhibits capricorns on the standards.

Lower Center - Less common for Severus is LEG XXX VLP (Ulpia - named for Trajan's gens as he founded the legion). Since their support of Severus came a bit later, they join the group of legions honored in silver only. Oddly enough I received this coin over a year ago, but was very busy at the time and forgot about it. I was cleaning out a shelf yesterday and it literally fell into my hands.

Lower Right - I was at a coin show about a week ago and saw this one pretty cheap. It was with several other sesterces and denarii being sold for a set price each. As you can see the text is basically all off flan, but Severus only had one Sestertius with these particular reverse features: LEG XIIII GEM M V. After I picked it up, I was really happy to learn that it is a reverse die match to one of the Wildwinds-examples! This coin also shows faint signs of the capricorns on the standards - appropriate as it was one of the emblems of the legion.

---

So there we have XI, XVIII Lybicae, XIIII Gemina Martia Victrix, XXX Ulpia, and XIIII Gemina Martia Victrix again for good measure. Each are recent levies into my collection and join several of their friends who've been present a bit longer.

---

(Special thanks to Forvm, Forvm members, Doug Smith's great Severus-Legionary Page, Jay GT4 for having a spectacular gallery of Antony types, and Wildwinds for helping me learn what to look for and what to expect with these coin types.)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: A Levy of Legions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 07:07:30 am »
You're putting together a nice group of legionaries

cro321

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 12:31:16 pm »
That sestertius is great! Nice coins.  :)

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:41:54 am »
I really enjoy those legionary denarii, political-military history brought home

Thanks for the factoids, too, on Triumvirs, GEM MV, VLP...

I have one (and only one) example of the type, and I have to gird my loins (and consult my blossoming library for references) before photographing and posting my Roman collection here.  It's coming in 2020. I promise. Meanwhile, below is an old photo of LEG III (Gallica or Cyrenaica).

Makes me think you could numiswiki an entry on the topic.  I've not seen anything beyond ROMAN MILITARIA by Shawn Caza.

Anaximander
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:52:53 am »
Nice LEG III

I have entered a few numiswiki articles on various legions but if you don't spell it out exactly it doesn't seem to find it.

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:22:43 pm »
Hark! With that clue from Jay GT4, I stand corrected, happily so.
It makes sense that there are wiki entries, even if I could not find them.

Here’s what I just found, searching under “Legion”:

Keywords

1. LEG V
2. LEG X
3. Aquila
4. LEG IX
5. LEG VI
6. LEG XI
7. LEG VII
8. LEG XIII
9. Legionarii
10. Delos Hoard
11. Rosenberger
12. LEG III GALLICA

... some nice quality time reading.

Thx ~
Anaximander
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 04:40:44 pm »
That is a fantastic LEG III. Worlds better than my example. One type of legionary coin that I haven’t started collecting because they are rare, expensive, and often low quality are the Gallienus legionary coins. I do enjoy how those have the emblems on them though.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:10:48 pm »
If I might, thought I would add some legionary ants of Gallienus using the symbols of the legions rather than their standards. These include:
1. RIC V.I 370: Praetorian Cohort. Radiate lion roaring walking right. COHH PREAT VI P VI F
2. RIC V.I 325: Legion II Italica. Boar walking right. LEG II ITAL VI P VI F
3. RIC V.I 329: Legion II Italica. Wolf suckling Romulus and Remus. LEG II ITAL VI P VI F
4. RIC V.I 324: Legion II Adiutrix. Pegasus flying right. LEG II ADI VI P VI F

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:18 pm »
Those are fantastic! I am very envious of those great examples! Maybe I need to branch out that way after all! ;D

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 09:36:50 pm »
As Septimius LEG XXX VLP coins go, yours is quite decent.  It is far from the most common legion but my experience suggests there are more of them in lesser condition than the average legionary.  It deserved better than being forgotten for so long.  We wish all of our coins were full legend but having at least the three X's is a feat.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 09:56:03 pm »
On the Gallienus legionaries, I've seen one auction offering them from the Morris Collection, but they don't seem to show up that often. Judging by Sear, they don't seem to be that rare or pricey -- if so, they would be beyond my means -- but just don't seem to floating around that much. I had to jump on at least a few that I saw (please just don't tell my wife  ;)

Best,
Larry

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 01:22:06 am »
It deserved better than being forgotten for so long.

Indeed! Fortunately it was in its archival slip. It was on the shelf with some of my coin packaging material - slips, envelopes, etc. That was around the time my dissertation was due so I suspect I placed it there for a moment before becoming preoccupied with other things. Definitely a terrific surprise to find such a nice coin after more than a year.

I had to jump on at least a few that I saw

Can’t blame you there! I think for some reason I love your Boar legionary the most.

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 08:48:30 am »
Back to the legionary denarii of Mark Antony:  a whopping ten high grade coins are listed in an online auction that ends tomorrow. It's fascinating to see the descriptions for the different legions and the references they lead me to.  There's Leg II, III, VI, XI, XIII, XIV, & XVIII.  They all appear to come from the collection of Professor David Beatty.  There's also one coin from the Rosen Collection with three signa decorated with wreaths CHORTIS SPEC[LATORVM].  

The many references are helpful:  Crawford, CRI, Sydenham, RSC and RBW, for the most part.  I've been able to crack open my new (and lightly used) copy of RSC, and I'll do likewise with my new reprint of Crawford. Until now, my only reference in hand was Sear Roman and Vagi, which were not much help.  

Here's what I've gleaned:  the eagle standard is known as aquila, the two side standards are called signa. The galley is, more specifically a Praetorian galley, which I'm guessing means it's the flagship, as evidenced by a strip of cloth dangling from the mast.  

The legend is as described by TenthGen earlier in this thread. Two examples have a circular or half moon mark on the obverse, presumably a banker's mark, as appears on my Leg II coin.  

Anaximander
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:03 am »
Sears Imperators book is a must have for anyone who collects or is interested in this era.

Also there is a Numiswiki article on LEGIO CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM but there was a spelling mistake  :) that's why it didn't come up.  Once the site is updated it should link it.

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 06:07:06 pm »
Sears Imperators book is a must have for anyone who collects or is interested in this era.

Also there is a Numiswiki article on LEGIO CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM...

Great tips. Thanks.

I'd never heard of Sear's book The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators.  Published by Spink & Son Ltd (1998).
Now, of course, I want it (big sigh).

The SPECULATORVM (sic) wiki is a beautiful nugget of knowledge. The last two edits are yours of today and one in 2011.  I guess you've been contributing here for an age.  Let's refer to it as the Jay GTA Epoch.  :)

Anaximander
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 08:02:48 pm »
I also would put in a plug for the Sear Imperators book; it has some of the most detailed history of the coinage of the period. The downside for me is that it shows so many coins that I'll never even come close to getting, alas.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 01:03:51 am »
I had a dream at one time of collecting only Antony and his descendants.  That didn't last, mainly because nice Antony's are expensive!  I did manage to get quite a few though and I'm always looking for more.  He's just not my main  focus at the moment.

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 09:36:19 am »
I had a dream at one time of collecting only Antony and his descendants.  That didn't last, mainly because nice Antony's are expensive!  I did manage to get quite a few though and I'm always looking for more...
Kudos for having collected two score Antonys, and more than a dozen legionary denarii. +++  Makes for quite a gallery.  

Having seen your LEGIO COHORTIS SPECVLATORVM wiki, I also saw the wiki entry for CHORTIS SPECULATORUM from the Dictionary on Roman Coinage.  I made a stab at transcribing (from scan to txt).  It's tough sledding, especially with the Greek characters, among which I may have mistaken one or another.  

See the page here:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=CHORTIS%20SPECULATORUM

CHORTIS SPECULATORUM
—Three military ensigns (or, more properly speaking, spears), ornamented with crowns, and fixed in the prows of vessels. — On the obverse ANTonius AVGur IIIVIR. Rei Publicæ Constituendæ. A pretorian vessel. — Gold. — British Museum.

These legends and types appear on gold and silver of the Antonia family, struck by order of Mark Antony, during his triumvirate. — On the subject of the ancient Speculatores Eckhel gives, in an abridged form, the result of Christian Schwart’s industrius and admirable researches, to the following purport—
      “The functions of the speculatores, and the meanings of the term, were very various. They corresponded to explorers, called by the Greeks ϖτακουσται and έποπται (ear and eye-witnesses),

and their services were in requisition, not only for military purposes in the discovery of an enemy’s designs, but also in civil matters, when they differed in no respect from the delatores, or informers. —Varro says: “A speculator is one whom we send before us, to nte such particulars as we wish to ascertain.”  For a similar reason, the word was applied to persons of a curious and prying disposition.  In military affairs those also were called speculatores, who, stationed on towers or other elevated positions, watched the movements and approaches of an enemy, and, kept a vigilant look out (speculabantur), giving intelligence by beacon-fires.  The Greeks termed them κατάςκοποι and διοπτηρες, andas it was part of their business to convey important information post haste, they were also called ημερόδρομοι, that is to say, runners over a certrain distance in a day, as Livy informs us (xxxi. Ch. 24) — Again, to use the words of Fesus (in Explorare): “A speculator differs from an explorator (spy) in this respect, the the former silently observes the movements of the enemy in war, whilst the latter loudly proclaims the doings of others in time of peace.” During the imperial government, the speculators were a kind of apparitors and bodyguard; from which circumstance Tacitus joined together two corps of pretorian cohorts and speculatores (Hist. ii. Ch. 33); and Suidas explains Σπεκουλατωρ, by ό δορύϕορος (the spear-man or body-guard.)  Hence we often observe, on marbles, the speculatores mixed up with the pretorian cohorts, as for example SPEC. COH. IIII. PR.  See also SPEC. LEG. II. Col Antiqua, i. p. 127.

Text continues:  
     Speculatores...
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 09:48:03 am »
Nice work.  Maybe the two should be combined.  Looks like mine still isn't showing up in blue

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 10:50:41 am »
In perusing your Mark Antony gallery, I saw some coins that were actually 'interlopers' from another member's galleries.  
I'd experienced that myself when I first started creating galleries and posting coins, last year.
I wasn't able to rouse the attention of the webmaster (via direct message)  :-\, but I figured it out and resolved it:  remove Keywords from the gallery.   I no longer use keywords in my gallery properties, and no more interlopers!  :laugh:

Anaximander.
PS: Is this the day? 100 posts and (gasp!) I am elevated from Praetorian to Consul?

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 11:55:49 am »
Congratulations on being "promoted"

I only see my coins in my gallery, although a few pictures are very old from my previous user name.  It doesn't automatically get updated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity