Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Parthian and Other Eastern Coins (Moderator: Howard Cole)  |  Topic: Needle Tip Knife AE 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Needle Tip Knife AE  (Read 65 times)
Istinpolin
Caesar

« on: January 11, 2020, 10:38:30 am »

Dear friends,

I wanted to share with you this needle tip knife AE, which I find very interesting because of the connection it has with the Xiongnu Huns, whom I like to research and study. This item is Zeno #215235 from my collection hanging on the wall.

China, Zhou 周, Eastern Zhou 770-255 B.C., Spring & Autumn period 770-475 B.C., Needle Tip Knife AE
7.04 g, 144 mm, ca. 600-400 BC

Needle type knife money was unknown until 1932 when a hoard was unearthed at Chengde in Hebei Province. Some other later hoards have also been found in this area. Probably produced for trade between the Chinese and the Xiongnu (Huns) who occupied the northern area at that time. Many different types noted Hartill describes 5 types.

Best wishes
Burak
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Parthian and Other Eastern Coins (Moderator: Howard Cole)  |  Topic: Needle Tip Knife AE « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop