Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF EVERYTHING!!! WE ARE OPEN AND SHIPPING!!! We Are Working From Home, Social Distancing, Wearing Masks, And Sanitizing To Pack Orders!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: silver coin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: silver coin  (Read 267 times)
Blayne W
Consul

« on: January 04, 2020, 03:09:18 pm »

I got this coin in an uncleaned lot of bronze coins and after soaking in dw I have this.   I havent been able to totally identify it yet.  Reverse looks like Securitas seated left, and I am totally guessing at this point it is Geta on the obverse.

However my question is about the condition of the coin.   It looks like the silver has peeled off exposing  a base metal beneath. Would this be possibly a fouree?   Would be my first experience with one of those.   Also at this point are there any suggestions for further cleaning?

size is 2.3 g and 18.3 mm.
Thanks

Blayne

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 04:11:37 pm »

Yes, most certainly a fouree

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
Blayne W
Consul

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:21:18 pm »

is there anything I can do to clean it, without losing more silver?  I assume lemon juice would be bad.

Blayne

Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 05:53:29 pm »

There is nothing left to clean.

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
TenthGen
Consul

Ferrata Fidelis Constans

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 01:33:20 am »

Like Jay said, nothing else to clean. Keep it as is to have as an example of a fouree.

As you noted, the coin is likely from the Severan period - depicting either Geta, Caracalla, Elagabalus, or Severus Alexander

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: silver coin « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop