Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to keep the boards and NumisWiki up forever?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
How to keep the boards and NumisWiki up forever?
« on: January 03, 2020, 04:46:39 pm »
Let me start by saying I am not sick, retiring, quitting or anything else.

I have seen so many excellent websites disappear from the internet because of the death of the owner or some other issue. Menorah Coin Project, for example, is down now because the owner was the victim of a cyber attack and had to give it up. He donated it to the Israel Numismatic Society but it is still down today. (I have offered to host it free.)

I would like to see to it that this forum, the gallery, the fake coin reports, NumisWiki, the hosted sites, etc. stay online even if something happens to me. This months hosting bill was $675. I can't ask my wife to pay $675 a month after I am dead. I would like to say that the shop will continue to operate after I am gone and could continue to pay for the services, but right now nothing is in place for that.

I am wondering if is possible to create a nonprofit that would accept donations and charge FORVM ANCIENT COINS for hosting, pay the monthly bill to Amazon, and perhaps build up a fund to keep the site up regardless of what happens to me. Can a non-profit buy life insurance?

Any lawyers out there with ideas? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: How to keep the boards and NumisWiki up forever?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 04:51:41 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 07:33:13 pm »
Hi Joe,

I always assumed that another coin dealer would assume control and ownership of Forum.

Wouldn't that be the easiest way?

I hope Forum doesn't cease to exist. I have so many years of my life invested in my website, which is hosted by your website.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:53:11 am »
It is possible another dealer would take control.  It might be the easiest way. One way or another the site will continue without me.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 11:43:10 am »
A nonprofit is certainly possible, but it requires a fair amount of effort to establish and to maintain.  You would need to:

1. Establish the corporation with an educational purpose and containing other provisions required by Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3).  This is generally the easy part. However, you might need to sever the "for profit" coin business from the "nonprofit" Forum, Wiki etc to make this work.  Frankly. that may not benefit your ongoing business.

2. Apply to the IRS for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.  This is a lengthy process with a heavy application package.

3. Corporate maintenance: you need to file annual reports, tax returns (even nonprofits file annual tax documents) etc. to maintain the corporate entity and the tax exempt status.

4. Officers and Directors:  A corporation requires officers and directors.  These positions would be easy to fill while your family is in the picture.  If your family wants out of the organization, then a steady stream of volunteers would be required.  Treasurer would have to maintain books and records, make payments and coordinate tax filings etc.  I see this maintenance of a cadre of volunteers as the largest, long term obstacle.

Another possibility might be a trust, funded by life insurance, to maintain the non-business portions of the site.  This may be simpler, as you'd only need a trustee to manage things.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:42:05 am »
That's certainly useful, and something to ponder. 

Perhaps a trust could eventually lead to a non-profit foundation, possibly an existing non-profit at that. 

The only U.S. numismatic non-profits I'm aware of are the ANS and the ACCG.  I shudder to think that coin clubs have to file for tax-exemption.   

The ANS is self-described as "Section 501(c)(3)" organization, and the ACCG is a "501(c)(4) organization involved in issues of lobbying and advocacy" and for whom "donations to the guild are generally not tax deductible on individual income tax returns. " 

Never too soon to plan ahead.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity