Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of John Hypatos? 7th Century?  (Read 824 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of John Hypatos? 7th Century?
« on: December 31, 2019, 03:57:17 pm »
I am slowly organizing my Byzantine seals.  This well preserved seal measures 22.64mm and is very heavy -  weighing 20.3g.  
On the obverse is invocative monogram ΘΕΟΤΟΚΕ ΒΟΗΘΗ
On the reverse is:

:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>: [ I ] :Greek_omega_small:
 :A:  :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Eta:
 :A: :Greek_Pi_3: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon:
  :Greek_Pi_3: :A: :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_omega_small:
          :Greek_Nu:

So the seal appears to read:
Theotokos Aid
John Hypatos

I believe this to be correct.  Am I?

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
Re: Byzantine Seal of John Hypatos? 7th Century?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 04:57:45 pm »
I think the third line is A:Greek_Pi_3:O Y, so he was apo hypaton.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Byzantine Seal of John Hypatos? 7th Century?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 10:25:58 pm »
You are right  I have corrected it. So it appears to be the seal of a Ioannes/ John, Apo Hypatos.  Would it be correct to attribute it to the 7th Century?
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity