Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Stupid Question on Decyphering RIC  (Read 1334 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
A Stupid Question on Decyphering RIC
« on: December 29, 2019, 08:10:15 pm »
My apologies for what is probably a very stupid question. I gradually have been picking up copies of the RIC volumes. Everything was fine until I started looking at Vol VIII (Family of Constantine), 1981 edition. In the catalogue portion, I'm trying to figure out what the letters in the Location columns represent. The letters at the top would seem to have to be the officina marks, but I'm at a loss for what the letters below that -- C, L, W, * -- represent. These might be explained in an other volume that I don't have, but I haven't found any explanation in this volume. As I say, I recognize that this is either a mark of stupidity or senility on my part, but if someone could have the patience to tell me what these mean, I would greatly appreciate it.
Best,
Larry

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A Stupid Question on Decyphering RIC
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:27:56 pm »
Those are abbreviations for the collections that contain the variety in question; so respectively Copenhagen, London (BM), Vienna.

Museum collections consulted, and their abbreviations: p. xliii of RIC VIII.

Catalogues consulted, and the numbers used to reference them: pp. xlv-xlvii. For example p. 225, no. 283: the asterisk means "See footnote"; and footnote 283 cites "Sale 64.2699".
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:36:57 pm »
I have added the abbreviations to the NumisWiki RIC page.  I used the abbreviations for RIC II, which were already listed for that volume.

Abbreviations
B - Berlin, Staatliche Museen
Bar - Barcelona, Gabinet Numismàtic de Catalunya
C - Cambridge, Fitzwilliam Museum
Clay - Curtis Clay Collection
F - Florence
G - Glasgow, Hunterian Museum - Hunter
H - Hague, Ultrecht Museum
K - Komnick
L - London, British Museum - BMCRE
LR - Lars Rutten Collection
M - Munich, Staatliche Münzsammlung
NY - New York, American Numismatic Society
O - Oxford - Ashmolean Museum
OC - Oxford Casts - Ashmolean Museum Cast Collection
P - Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale - BnF
PC - Private Collection (various)
R - Rome, Museo Nazionale
S - Stockholm, Royal Coin Cabinet
V - Vienna, Kunsthistorisches Museum
Z - Zurich, National Museum
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:00:14 pm »
Thank you very much. I was completely flummoxed by that lettering system. Thanks again.
Best,
Larry

All coins are guaranteed for eternity