Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted Maximian IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG  (Read 719 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Unlisted Maximian IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG
« on: December 29, 2019, 05:41:24 pm »
Hi all,

I recently acquired this Antioch radiate, and unless I am missing something it is an unrecorded variety. RIC V:2 makes no mention of the variety with the rev. legend ending with a dot, and only lists officina S with a star or a crescent above (p. 294). Voetter’s Gerin catalogue  distinguishes between the different legends, but only lists officinae A, B, Γ and Δ, for the one ending with a dot (p. 36, no. 6).  

The type is probably not very rare as there are at least two similar specimens (with and without a dot in exergue) for sale at the moment.

Obv. IMP C M AVR MAXIMIANVS P F AVG Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
Rev. IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG :dot: Jupiter standing right, holding sceptre and globe, facing Hercules standing left, holding Victory on globe, club and lion’s skin on left arm. S in center field, XXI in exergue, possibly followed by a dot (not visible in photograph).
4,45 gm, 23 mm. Die axis 180°

Offline helveticus

• Praetorian
Re: Unlisted Maximian IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 08:06:28 am »
Hi Per D,
RIC V2 p.294, 622 also shows the ending dot after AVGG, but not the officina S for Maximian.
RIC catalogue for Dyarchy was based on data of Voetter, written 1899/1901 and 1921, officina S was unrecorded then.
I checked in my data and found a few coins of Maximian with reverse as your coin i.e. AVGG :dot: -/S/-//XXI
and would now rate the S officina as being scarce.
Helveticus

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:44:47 am »
Hi Helveticus,

Thank you for your reply! The legend descriptions in this RIC volume are confusing as they always (?) end with a period/full stop whether the actual legend has a termination mark or not.

Happy new year!

Per D

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 10:42:12 am »

ERIC II lists similar coin as #1459:

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/27181.php

Pekka K

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:38:13 pm »
Thank you Pekka,

There seems to be quite a few Maximian IOV ET HERCV CONSERV AVGG from officina S (or should we call it ϛ?) floating around, with or without dots in the legend and/or the exergue (where the dot can be placed before or after the XXI). I think my new year’s resolution will be to make some kind of chart, trying to figure out the different emissions from Antioch.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity