Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Late Roman Emperor?  (Read 767 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Which Late Roman Emperor?
« on: December 26, 2019, 06:02:08 pm »
I am working on the identification of an imperial lead seal with the bust of an Emperor on the obverse and Winged Victory / Nike advancing, wearing a long chiton and holding a victory wreath in each hand on the reverse.  It measures approximately 21 mm and weighs 10.59 g.  It appears to be earlier than seals more commonly seen of Justinian I.  Gert offered on the seal board that is similar to those of Zeno.  Any thoughts on the bust?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Which Late Roman Emperor?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 04:45:58 pm »
Thank you for your imput.  The reverse depicting Victoria / Nike advancing were used  mostly on the Imperial seals.  The seals you cited are later and in the case of Justinian I essentially were modeled on his solidus.  An author has written "the chancery regularly employed seals bearing a representation of the emperor as a facing bust" and the reverse of Victoria advancing.  I have some of those seals n my collection.  The seal that  I am trying to associate with a particular emperor appears to be  earlier and of the Roman rather than Byzantine eras of the Empire.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 08:56:08 am »
Probably not much help but I have a coin of Constantius II with a similar reverse ( https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-145604 } so I suppose that those imperial seals could date from at least around that time rather than Justinian. However the style of your seal seems much later than the time of Constantius, in particular the emperor's headwear with the hanging pendants certainly has more of a Late Roman/Byzantine look to it.

Alex

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 09:09:22 am »
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 02:17:02 pm »
My seal in question appears much closer in style to this one of the Roman Emperor Zeno except it doesnt have the helpful caption.  Pogh_poor

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 06:05:22 am »
Exactly! It doesn't have the caption, so all we can do is suggest an attribution to the seal. My vote is with Gert, but others my think otherwise. Your picture helps to back up with Zeno also. But then again it may be Justinian or Justin II....just saying

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 07:18:48 am »
That is my opinion too.  I believe that it is Zeno ... Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity