Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek uncleaned coins  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Chris F2

• Legionary
Greek uncleaned coins
« on: December 29, 2019, 12:10:27 pm »
I purchased a small lot of uncleaned Greek coins the other week, which is new territory for me. Lot is pictured below, minus two coins that had some small BD areas that I separated for treatment. Overall, very pleased with the variety -- no LRB in sight and some very interesting reverses. These pictured soaked for a week in DW and have been lightly brushed.

Coins arrived tightly wrapped in masking tape. I noticed an odd and unpleasant smell immediately upon opening but didn't think much of it at the time. After separating the two with BD, I soaked the remaining population in DW for an hour or so, brushed them, re-soaked to further loosen the easy dirt, then rebrushed and dropped them in a jar of DW for a week. Resulting dirt that sluffed on in the soak was bright red brown in color, which differs from the brown mud I see come off uncleaned coins from the Balkans.

Last night I opened jar and let me tell you, the coins literally STANK. Like a putrid metallic aroma, nothing I've experienced before. To counter the stench, I put some Dawn dishsoap in the DW bowl, stirred a few times, and rinsed repeatedly with DW to flush the soap off. No putrid aroma after that.

I'll probably put these in DW for another month before revisiting. In the meantime, has anyone else ever had a batch of coins that smelled seriously bad? I'm stumped as to the reason.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Greek uncleaned coins
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 03:56:36 pm »
There are cases of middle eastern dealers who glue sand to coins to try to make or improve a "desert patina".  Maybe the smell was glue.

I have also had a strong smell with some fake Chinese cash - it was paint used to add a fake blue-green patina.  Not the case for yours.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity