Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of Matthias the Kandidos?  (Read 824 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of Matthias the Kandidos?
« on: December 26, 2019, 07:41:26 am »
I am working on an interesting 6th /7th Century Byzantine seal.  It measures 24.08mm and weighs 10.25g. 
I think the cruciform monogram in a wreath border on the obverse is  Ματθαῖον  Matthias.
The reverse n a wreath border cruciform monogram is  α - δ - ι - κ - ν - ο - υ Κανδίδου Kandidos
So I think that it may solve (Seal of) Matthias the Kandidos

Am I close?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Seal of Matthias the Kandidos?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 07:31:38 am »
Hi,

I am afraid your readings won't hold. Both monograms lack T. So for the obv. a dative 'maththaio' would fit (spelled with two theta's and omega), but that would be a big stretch, as a genitive is expected for this type. I think your drawings are correct, and the reading 'Thoma' (gen. of Thomas) is far more likely. The rev. solves elegantly into 'diakonou', so Thomas, deacon.

Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 08:06:38 am »
Ah yes.  Thank you Gert!  I see that now .  Is my dating correct?
My error I was reading the crossbar of the monogram as a "T".  Does that ever occur in solving these monograms?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:06:02 am »
Yes, 6th/7th century. If there's a T, it should be in the monogram, it is not 'implied' in the central cross.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity