Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lydian fractional issues  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Colin D

• Auxiliary
Lydian fractional issues
« on: January 02, 2020, 01:37:41 pm »
Hi everyone.  Noob here looking for some help. I'm trying to understand the fractional issues of the pre Achaemenid Lydian coinages. Specifically, I'm trying to compile a table of the known fractions of the Lydian elecrum stater, the silver stater, and the heavy and light gold staters, along with their weightsWeights in grains troy are ok but I'd rather have grams if possible.  Appreciate any guidance or source texts you might be able to pass along.

Cheers!

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Lydian fractional issues
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 08:57:36 am »
Interested in Trites, hektes, and 1/192nds of a stater, among others?

Ernst Babelon, in his Traité des monnaies grecques et romaines, gives it a glancing blow in his first volume (theory) and more so in his second (history, I).  The latter starts with a table of the Milesian standard.  Other weight standards get their own tables in this voluminous work.

Later issues get the royal treatment:  Ian Carradice. The ‘Regal’ Coinage of the Persian Empire, in Coinage and Administration in the Athenian and Persian Empires. The Ninth Oxford Symposium on Coinage and Monetary History. British Archaeological Reports, International Series 343 (Oxford. 1987).  

It doesn't have your tables, nor does it cover silver, but you may want to have a look at Francois de Cattalay's 2013 piece on White Gold in the ANS Journal.  It's an interesting read, regardless. And there's a reference of a database by Francois Velde that could prove useful, if you can find it.
https://www.academia.edu/3740426/White_Gold_An_Enigmatic_Start_to_Greek_Coinage

Anaximander

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 04:15:16 pm »
Quote from: Colin D on January 02, 2020, 01:37:41 pm
Hi everyone.  Noob here looking for some help. I'm trying to understand the fractional issues of the pre Achaemenid Lydian coinages. Specifically, I'm trying to compile a table of the known fractions of the Lydian elecrum stater, the silver stater, and the heavy and light gold staters, along with their weightsWeights in grains troy are ok but I'd rather have grams if possible.  Appreciate any guidance or source texts you might be able to pass along.

Cheers!

This might help:

http://www.glebecoins.net/electrum/index.html

Ross G.

Offline Kopperkid

• Praetorian
  • Wisdom begins in wonder.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 10:31:50 pm »
One of our published members has a complete weight standard on our club website. It's very comprehensive!
http://tinyurl.com/tnkjmef

All coins are guaranteed for eternity