Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Quastion about archival storage  (Read 984 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Quastion about archival storage
« on: March 13, 2020, 08:13:38 pm »
I bought a very well known and good company's flips. I am thinking as they are two sided, to use the one side for the coin and the other for a paper card, that I will print with my printer and it will contain all the information about the coin.I will use normal printer inks and a very good quality glossy printer papaer that I found with archival life 200years. My question will be a bit paranoid, but will it be safe to use this kind of paper and ink without risking damage to the coin somehow. I am asking because this company is promoting to use their acid free paper cards for you to put, but as the coin and the paper will not be in contact and in separate pockets I think it is not necessary. Am I right? But why they are suggesting the acid free papers? Thank you all!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: Quastion about archival storage
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:09:55 am »
Your coins will be fine.  The ink used with "inkjet" printers is very stable and is chemically similar to traditional "india" ink.  "Laser" toner is less stable, but not corrosive.   "Archival" paper is essentially the same as "acid free". The more important thing is to be certain the coin is an archival --non-plastic-- flip,
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 02:00:26 am »
Your coins will be fine.  The ink used with "inkjet" printers is very stable and is chemically similar to traditional "india" ink.  "Laser" toner is less stable, but not corrosive.   "Archival" paper is essentially the same as "acid free". The more important thing is to be certain the coin is an archival --non-plastic-- flip,
Thank you very much. I bought saflips which I believe are the best archival flips out there. Am I right?
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 11:27:22 pm »
I can't say what the "best" brand is, but that is the brand I use.  It meets all my criteria.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity