Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of Paul 6th Century?  (Read 744 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of Paul 6th Century?
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:03:49 am »
I recently acquired an interesting Byzantine Seal  of Paul which measures 24.95 mm and weighs 14.20 g.

I believe the monograms in a beaded ring read as follows:

Obverse:  εοτόκε βοήθει Theotokos aid your servant

Reverse: α - λ - ο - π - υ  Παύλου = Paul

To my eyes, it appears to be rather crude and simple for a large seal.  Does this indicate that it is relatively early in age or simply belonged to an individual who could not afford a more elaborate seal?

Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Seal of Paul 6th Century?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 06:38:01 am »
Yes, Paulos. These 6th century seals are usually 'simple' in design. I don't think you can infer anything about the status of the owner from that.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Seal of Paul 6th Century?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 01:45:33 pm »
The 6th century seals are definitely interesting in their use of the Greek Letters - like the giant  :Greek_Pi: on this seal.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity