Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hello please help with gift  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Angie P

• Auxiliary
Hello please help with gift
« on: November 27, 2019, 04:07:18 pm »
Hello,  I’ve always been fascinated with relics from past civilizations,  but,  to cut the story short so is my nephew and he wants an ancient Roman coin for Christmas.  I’ve read about how to spot fakes ,  and have been looking on eBay.  It goes without saying that there are a lot of obvious fakes on there,  but some not so obvious from the pictures.  Does anyone know if I can get a decent ancient Roman coin from any year,  for around 50$? 

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Hello please help with gift
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 05:17:44 pm »
The board you are posting on is also a coin shop, and all items Joe sells are guaranteed for life as authentic.
Take a while to browse the shop here and I'm certain you will find something to fit your needs.

Happy hinting,

- Peter

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 07:52:21 pm »
Forum has a great shop for such coins, plus they print accurate historical information and citations on the labels, which is not common even among other professional dealers, and use sturdy long-term coin holders where the coin can be taken out to hold in hand.  A lot of historical labels on "$50"  internet coins are tourist hogwash -- "rare", "bible", "holyland", etc is usually hype for common coins.

I personally  recommend against  buying overpriced but actually very common coins in hard plastic slabs, similar to baseball cards and comics.  A "$50" ancient coin is one that should be held in a kid's hand, just like someone held it 2000 years ago.  At that price point, you are mostly paying for the plastic.   Plenty nice such coins, without plastic, in Forum's shop.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:09:48 pm »
For a gift in the Roman realm, I would look at Constantine and the Commerative issues.  People know who Constantine is and the Commorative issues are a celebration of Rome or Constantinople.  There is a neat coin with a helmeted head of Roma on one side, and the wolf nursing Romulus and Remus on the other.

For Biblical coins, widows mites are pretty inexpensive.

You might look for the coin first, and then at the price.  What I mean by that is the coin should have some eye appeal, (look fairly nice), and for his interests have some historical appeal.  I don't know how locked into $50.00 you are, I go for Greek, which is usually more expensive.  Nicer coins (which are usually more expensive) retain their value better, dealers usually want to buy them back, years later.  Now, that is not a guarantee, just an observation in human psychology.

Of course, people like to collect the 12 Emperors, but those are more expensive.  But, you might find one that is nice enough on the one hand, and inexpensive on the other.

If you buy from Joe, you might ask him to throw in a certificate, the certificate is a nice touch.  It gives a background, the same on the tag, but just in a nicer format.  He usually charges for them, so understand he does not have to do that.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity