Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new Probus ant. from Siscia  (Read 1022 times)

Offline tetrico

• Consul
  • Caius Pius Esuvius Tetricus - Princeps Iuventutis
A new Probus ant. from Siscia
« on: September 27, 2019, 08:08:30 am »
Dear friends,
I would share with you this new Probus antoninianus from Siscia.

D\ IMP C M AVR PROBVS P AVG
R\ VIRTVS PROBI AVG / XXI V
Ref.: RIC 816var (not in RIC and not in probuscoins.fr)

According to our colleagues collectors from the french forum http://www.forumfw.com it should be a not published piece from Siscia, 5 issue, 5 officina.

what do you think about it? do you know other pieces?
many thanks!

here the discussion in italian: https://www.lamoneta.it/topic/181393-antoniniano-inedito-di-probo-della-zecca-di-siscia/
and hear in the french forum: http://www.forumfw.com/t18142p175-www-probuscoins-fr-base-de-donnees-des-aureliani-de-probus

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: A new Probus ant. from Siscia
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:11:43 am »
It appears to be Alföldi type 96, n° 168

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 10:04:03 am »
It is a rare coin. Only one specimen from Missong collection (now in Vienna) is known to Alfoldy (No. 96/168). I do not know of any other examples.

Teutoburgium

Offline tetrico

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:24:25 am »
Thanks for these Info!
Do you have a copy scan of the page of alfoldi work? thanks!

Offline Teutoburgium

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 12:27:56 am »

Although Alfoldi gives very detailed and exhaustive list of all variants and quotes collections for each of variant, this work is not illustrated. Instead of tables with photos, at the end of the book is given list with provenances. Table XLIX just has the code drawing of the obverse type.

Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield, seen from back.

Wide wreath ties.

Offline tetrico

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 03:48:18 am »
Many thanks for the info.
I have tried to find a PDF copy of the alfoldi work but even if dated my search give me no results.
So my opinion was right, it's a rare coin! That's a great news.

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 11:56:38 am »
What book would you like to have a PDF of?  I found several such as Die constantinische Goldprägung

Offline tetrico

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 01:46:31 pm »
Thanks Tacitus.
I'm searching this one: A. Alföldi, Siscia. Vorarbeiten zu einem Corpus der in Siscia geprägten römischen Kaisermünzen. Heft V. Verzeichnis der Antoniniane des Kaisers Probus, Budapest, 1939, 88 p. (extrait de Numizmatikai Közlöny, t. XXXVI-XXXVII, 1937-1938).

Thanks!

SEstiot

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 11:55:58 am »

In fact, this type is  not inedite, even if rare. The mint of Siscia strikes so many varieties and so many combinations titulatures/busts on the obverse - types/officina markings on the reverse, that each of them is scarce... For this precise coin : apart the coin Alföldi 96, 168 (Missong) in Vienna which he describes quite correctly (MK 45637, Missong 2943, my catalogue 6336), I know 3 other examples. So, with this one, 5 examples. All the best, S. Estiot

All coins are guaranteed for eternity