Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Still searching RIC I, early edition  (Read 1208 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Still searching RIC I, early edition
« on: November 27, 2019, 12:13:29 pm »
I am still looking for the pdf of the first issue (1923) of RIC vol. I.
The later edition, which I have, is the revised edition from 1984.
I need to compare some "old" RIC I references in several books, e.g. MacDowall WCN, Seaby RSC etc, which, because of their age, cite "old" RIC I numbers.
Does anyone know where I can download the old RIC I ?

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Re: Still searching RIC I, early edition
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 11:32:57 am »
I have been looking for this on and off as well; it has been surprisingly hard to locate.   What I am really interested to have, though, is a master concordance table linking Cohen, BM, RIC (1st editions), and RIC (current editions).  This is a necessary key for navigating older articles and auction catalogs.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 08:18:15 am »
I made an xls list correlating old RIC Flavian entries with the new RIC II Flavian entries, if that would be any good to you. If you or anyone else wants a copy, please send me an email. (address in my profile) and explain who you are etc, as I get a lot of weird emails...
You can also Skype me (Skype name is in my profile) but here again, when asking to be added to my contacts, please explain who you are - I get even more weird Skype messages !

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 09:11:11 am »
I have been looking for this on and off as well; it has been surprisingly hard to locate.   What I am really interested to have, though, is a master concordance table linking Cohen, BM, RIC (1st editions), and RIC (current editions).  This is a necessary key for navigating older articles and auction catalogs.

Aleph, how is your quest faring?  A concordance table that includes Cohen, BM, and RIC is laudable, but a big job.  

I had quite the time cooking up a concordance table just for the Anglo-Saxon coins in the Medieval European Coinage series (MEC I vs. MEC VIII).  

I found it more straightforward to compile an index that I call a Table of Contents (or TOC) of a corpus (like several SNG series) where these were lacking. At least I can promptly locate the coins I want.

I am working, in piecemeal fashion, on a TOC for Sear Roman and RIC, but these are ultimately little more than a convient bookmark or cheat sheet, since those works already have their own table of contents and indices.  

To your point, the RIC series is deficient in providing a concordance, as I suspect the other series you named.  I find it disappointing that the revised edition of RIC I lacks a concordance and generally only has a single reference, often BMC, with Cohen as a last resort.  As for the more recent RIC II.1 revised edition, at least it contains a concordance to the first edition and more references. I can only hope this stays true of forthcoming revised editions.

Anaximander
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:57:25 am »
RIC II.3 is now out and it does have a concordance.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity