Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My best seal in my collection  (Read 902 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
My best seal in my collection
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:08:23 pm »
Dear Friends,

I wanted to share with you my favorite PB Seal from my collection. I am very proud and happy to have it and yet have to find a second one.

Full description is:

Byzantine, Imperial PB Seal, Michael IX Palaeologus (1277-1320), ruled with this father Andronicus II Palaeologus (1282-1328) between 1295 - 1320.
28.46 gr, 35 mm

Obverse: I[ΗCΟΥ]C (Jesus) X[ΡΙCΤΟ]C (Christ), Jesus Christ on throne, holding closed book of gospel.

Reverse: ΜΙ[ΧΑΗΛ] (Michael) ΕΝ Χ[ΡΙCT]W (Christi Gratia) ΠΙCΤΟC (Pius) ΔΕCΠΟΤ[ΗΣ] (Despot) ΠΑΛΑΙΟΛΟΓΟC (Palaeologi), vice-emperor, in his official dress, standing, holding cross and akakia.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: My best seal in my collection
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 07:27:19 am »
It is a very handsome seal and well struck Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 09:48:04 am »
Very nice seal, and for me what makes it especially nice is having the identification and translations.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 02:36:41 pm »
This 11th Century seal is the one that I consider to be the best both because of its specific link to a fully identified Byzantine and its match to a specific boulloterion (in Vienna (ed. BBÖ II, no. 43, Laurent, Corpus II no. 845).  
The seal reads

Depicting the the Hodegetria  Μήτηρ Θεοῦ. / Θεοτόκε βοήθει Κωνσταντίνῳ ἀνθυπάτῳ πατρικίῳ ὑπάτῳ κριτῇ τοῦ βήλου τῷ ᾿Ανζᾷ

Mother of God. / Theotokos aid Konstantinos Anzas, anthypatos patrikios hypatos krites of the velon.  

The Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium states that the Anzas "(᾽Ανζα̑ς, ᾽Αντζα̑ς), were a family of civil functionaries. Their origins, which are unclear, are variously described: Zlatarski ( Ist. 2:554) considered Ivan Anzas (Ančo, his transliteration) a Bulgarian name; S. Rudberg ( Études sur la tradition manuscrite de saint Basile [Lund 1953 ] 149f) thought it Italian. The first of them, John Anzas , assisted Theodoulos , archbishop of Bulgaria, in building the Church of Hagia Sophia in Ohrid in 1056 . The family was active in administration in the second half of the 11th C..  

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity