Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare Philomelium, Caracalla  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Rare Philomelium, Caracalla
« on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:12 pm »
Dear friends,

this past sunday I was able to buy this beauty at the Frankfurt Numismata and wanted to share this rare type with you. Would it make sense to add it to the BOT Gallery? I could find only one other specimen, which is not nearly as good. Or is the BOT Gallery only for Imperial coins?
With a little bit of luck and patience this coin will be illustrated on Wildwinds and AsiaminorCoins.

Full description is:

Roman Provincial, Phrygia, Philomelium, Caracalla (198-217), AE33
19.87 gr, 33 mm, 6 h

Obverse: AY MAV ANTΩ NЄINOC AV, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: ΦIΛOMHΛ ЄΠI AΔPIANOV. Athena standing left, holding Nike and spear; shield at feet to right; serpent at feet to left (Hadrian magistrate).

Reference: Mionnet IV 893; Paris 1838.
Note: Similar reverse type exists for Septimius Severus (SNG von Aulock 3921)

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline maxthrax

• Consul
Re: Rare Philomelium, Caracalla
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 02:59:37 pm »
Hi Istinpolin, congratulations for the great coin, a real rarity in such a nice condition!
A coin that every provincial coin collector will be lucky to have :)
Well, to your question about BOT; In my opinion, BOT should be a coin from more popular type, not necessarily rare,expensive, desirable, but known by many specimen. In order to call a coin BOT, it must be better than many other examples of the type, selected between many other coins.
Adding your coin to Wildwinds or other similar helpfull sources is a must, I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Regards
Max

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Rare Philomelium, Caracalla
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 04:52:02 am »
Yes, thank you! Good that I have asked.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity