Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Receiving large number of Uncleaned coins  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
Receiving large number of Uncleaned coins
« on: November 24, 2019, 03:36:45 pm »
Hello everyone, I am soon receiving a large amount of Uncleaned coins from a forum auction. I thought it would be cool to share my progress on the coins when I receive them since there is not much activity on the Uncleaned board. I will post the sellers photos and will post more when I receive the coins.

Offline Chris F2

• Legionary
Re: Receiving large number of Uncleaned coins
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 08:41:05 pm »
I like the idea! Please do update.

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:46 pm »
I sure will Chris, the coins should come this week so expect an update soon!

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:47:23 pm »
I had hours of fun years ago with “uncleaned lot”. You could also make some experimentations : a certain number soaking in DW, others in olive oil...and analyse the difference between different technique of cleaning. Good luck !
DT

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 02:54:01 pm »
I just picked up a lot as well so it will be interesting comparing results with you Justin.   

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 03:05:18 pm »
Hi blayne, I look forward to seeing your cleaning progress as well!

Best Regards,
Justin

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 12:32:36 pm »
Justin how have you been cleaning your coins so far?

I just received my set yesterday and split them into groups of approximately 15 coins.  Going to try different methods on each of them to see what works best for me.  I have probably 500 uncleaned coins previously purchased that basically have gotten the DW and scrubbing process which I think ultimately will work the best but I want to experiment. :)

So far I have started three groups on the cleaning process.

One set I soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, light scrub, resoaked in hot water, rescrubbed and now soaking in DW.

The second package.  I dry scrubbed with a toothbrush loosening dirt and its now soaking in DW.

The third set I used Spit N Polish from [REMOVED BY ADMIN] to soften the dirt, Then scrubbed with a toothbrush and its now soaking in DW.

Future packages I plan to use Gringotts, Pre Lim Surface Cleaner, possibly boiling? plus any other options or opinions.  

My goal is not to wreck or ruin the coins so wont really try anything too drastic.  (As I work at a Car dealership I have been given lots of advise from our Technicians and Detail shop about chemicals they can get their hands on that they think would clean the coins right up.)

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 12:44:27 pm »
Hey Blayne unfortunately my coins are still in customs which is weird. But I’m happy to hear you go your coins, I also plan on splitting my coins into groups as well based on how much encrustations they have on them. I will be using gringotts, vulpex, and distilled water. I personally stay away from chemicals unless I’m dealing with silver.

Best Regards,
Justin

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 01:02:59 pm »
Yikes on the customs.... Mine got here quick, just 16 days.

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 10:28:16 pm »
Hello, sorry for the late update to thread, but I just got the coins. My first observations is they are in quite good condition and will clean well. I am starting off by an overnight soak in distilled water and vulpex. I will share my progress as I split the coins into different groups after initial soak.

Best Regards,
Justin

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 02:21:07 pm »
I am interested in seeing how this turns out since I haven't bought any 'uncleaned' coins in 15 or more years since I think it is generally a scam

please keep us updated!

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 05:13:08 pm »
I'll keep my eye on this thread, something about seeing an uncleaned coin being cleaned that is just fascinating especially when you see the finished coin. Nothing more rewarding

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 05:46:59 pm »
I have an update on this batch of coins. The quality of most of them that I’ve cleaned so far have been not that great. Also I’ve been getting most of the usual suspects from this batch like fallen horseman and camp gates. With most of the coins being ae 4’s. Despite all of this I have an exciting coin to share which I did NOT get from the batch above. I cleaned a coin which was from another supplier whose uncleaned coins always surprise me. The coin below is Ulpia Severina which made me so excited because I’ve only cleaned coins with emperors on them.

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 07:31:16 pm »
Looks like you have done a great job on that one.  What was your process on that one?   Mine are still soaking and getting the odd brush.   My next goal is to start separating them into groups based on condition and perceived ease of cleaning.   Though I do get distracted with my other coins that I have bought and need to identify.

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 08:05:43 pm »
I soaked it with distilled water and then i brushed it. Thankfully the dirt on the coin was quite soft so it came off easily.

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 08:09:34 pm »
Thats awesome, nice when they work out that nice.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity