Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newbie coin cleaning questions.  (Read 1222 times)

Brad F

Newbie coin cleaning questions.
« on: November 17, 2019, 02:24:15 am »
I have bought some uncleaned Roman coins. I'm having a lot of fun cleaning them and trying to identify them. The coins were pretty cheap, about $2 CAD and as such are not in great shape.

Of the first 6 I have one is in great condition, I'm taking my time and not having much trouble with it. The other 5 are not as nice and I have been experimenting with them.

It's seems there are about 5 layers to the coins.

1. Dirt
2. Intact patina (dark shiny green)
3. Patina where the top layer has been removed (lighter dull green)
4. Corroded bronze
5. Shiny bronze (more recent damage?)

If there are only specks of the dark green patina left is it bad to remove them for a more uniform look?

I'm attaching some pictures of my coins. I'm hoping if someone can tell if this is what they should look like. If I could clean them more, or if I'm over doing it. Also any general advice would be appreciated as I'm a complete beginner. Thanks!

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
Re: Newbie coin cleaning questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 01:15:45 pm »
I’ll give my two cents on this.
1) as you have already noted you bought these coins cheap and because of that most of the coins have little patina. I still think that cheap coins are great to practice on.
2) what I mean by little to no patina, if you take a look at the fifth coin it has detail but the bronze is showing already in most places and it looks like this is the case on the other ones as well.
3) the 1st coins obverse seems like it may have a patina intact.

Lastly good job with the coin in the last pictures  +++

Ps you should almost never take off a patina but if it’s just flaky bits then it’s not that terrible to do so to get a more detailed coin!

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
Re: Newbie coin cleaning questions.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 10:52:47 pm »
those were already cleaned a little bit or more when you got them and yes good ones to practice on and probably better than you'd get that was described as "uncleaned" most of the time

re:

If there are only specks of the dark green patina left is it bad to remove them for a more uniform look?

sometimes but not always

I'm attaching some pictures of my coins. I'm hoping if someone can tell if this is what they should look like. If I could clean them more, or if I'm over doing it. Also any general advice would be appreciated as I'm a complete beginner. Thanks!

hard to say what they "should look like" but after some experience you may find out how to get them to look like you like them to look - just try not to go too fast and too harsh whatever you do

All coins are guaranteed for eternity