Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to proceed?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
How to proceed?
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:58:43 am »
Hello everyone, today I have a question about how I should proceed with cleaning this coin which I assume is greek(weighs 2.18 grams). As you can see in the photo below it has a thick layer of dirt covering most of it but on the obverse on the left side there seems to be some color sticking out. It look silverish with dark green spots on it which might be malachite deposits. So any responses on how to proceed would be much welcomed, because if this is greek it is my first one uncleaned.

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
Re: How to proceed?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:30:47 pm »
Little update on this coin, the coin is definitely not greek it is a thessalonika mint (smtsa :Greek_Delta:) of a constantinople commemorative ( is RIC VII Thessalonica 188). Once again I got a bit to excited by viewing the coin from a wrong perspective, but I guess it is a learning experience.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: How to proceed?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 07:24:08 pm »
Patience and lots of soakings.  The hard soils looks like it will flake off bit by bit.  But you don't want to force it or you risk losing the patina underneath.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity