Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two small axe like objects  (Read 1468 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
Two small axe like objects
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:36:46 am »
Any ideas what are these-my gues is some kind of amulets.Size is less then 1 cm.I am not sure about the date also.They dont look roman to me although they were found on a roman site .Top one is made of lead,the other is bronze

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Two small axe like objects
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 07:14:09 pm »
Axe amulets are usually described as post-Roman.  They were popular amongst many early Slavic peoples and may have been holy symbols.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Peter B6

• Legionary
  • Peter Barker
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:02:26 pm »
Miniature Roman votive axes are found in Britain and across the Empire. I have found 2 on my Roman shrine site in Britain - detecting. Difficult to say whether these are genuine, they look a bit clean lined and the shapes and form not in keeping with a Roman votive miniatures but I would need to see them in the flesh. They were sometimes made of lead.

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 03:22:49 pm »
I am more inclined to think that  otlichnik is right and these some non roman items.These are metaldetecting finds  by the way.Latest coin so far found from the site belongs to Zeno .Anyway whatever they are they are nice adition to my collection of strange objects :):)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 06:16:41 pm »
I have a Roman votive dolabra.  It is lead, not silver and is shaped differently from these.  It is paralleled by several finds from Carnuntum.   

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity