Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Hawk - Egyptian?  (Read 933 times)

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
Bronze Hawk - Egyptian?
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:42:06 pm »
I am posting this here rather than under Egyptian Antiquities since I'm not entirely certain that it is Egyptian. Although the subject matter (a hawk/falcon which appears to be wearing a crown) seems to fit, it is not manufactured in the style of most bronze Egyptian hawks that I've seen. The reverse is concave and unfinished, with no apparent means of attachment, other than perhaps a small 'slot' on the feet area. It is one sided, with the tail visible on the right, and the entire body shifted slightly to the left to create the impression of perspective. Is this perhaps a very late Egyptian (Ptolemaic to Roman period) object, or something else?

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
Re: Bronze Hawk - Egyptian?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 11:24:11 am »
Here's a thought, after looking at it some more. Is it possible this could be a fibula? I haven't seen any examples of an Egyptianizing style fibula, but the style of manufacture, with the convex reverse, resembles that seen on some zoomorphic fibulae. Looking at my object, I see depressions on either end which could be remnants of a pin mechanism and L-shaped catchplate. On the other hand, I have not seen any examples in this style, although that may not mean much. The catchplate and hinge mechanisms on these tend to break off and leave slight protrusions, rather than depression, although it's not unheard of, especially if they were made of a different material.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Bronze Hawk - Egyptian?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 07:15:55 pm »
I haven't seen anything like it either.

I doubt it was a fibula.  More likely something flat-mounted on furniture, chest, etc.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity