Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Hanukkah!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: How to proceed? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to proceed?  (Read 180 times)
Justin W
Praetorian

Justin W

« on: November 10, 2019, 06:58:43 am »

Hello everyone, today I have a question about how I should proceed with cleaning this coin which I assume is greek(weighs 2.18 grams). As you can see in the photo below it has a thick layer of dirt covering most of it but on the obverse on the left side there seems to be some color sticking out. It look silverish with dark green spots on it which might be malachite deposits. So any responses on how to proceed would be much welcomed, because if this is greek it is my first one uncleaned.
Justin W
Praetorian

Justin W

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 11:30:47 am »

Little update on this coin, the coin is definitely not greek it is a thessalonika mint (smtsa Greek_Delta) of a constantinople commemorative ( is RIC VII Thessalonica 188). Once again I got a bit to excited by viewing the coin from a wrong perspective, but I guess it is a learning experience.
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 05:24:08 pm »

Patience and lots of soakings.  The hard soils looks like it will flake off bit by bit.  But you don't want to force it or you risk losing the patina underneath.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: How to proceed? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop