Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting High Relief Seal with St. Paul? In Profile Bust Right  (Read 1212 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I just acquired an interesting seal with a saint in profile to the right.  Could this be St Paul?  It is in high relief and very handsome.  It measures approximately 17mm and weighs 5.65g.  I am still working on the cruciform monogram.  Is the profile bust relatively uncommon?  Pogh_poor  
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Interesting High Relief Seal with St. Paul? In Profile Bust Right
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 11:12:54 pm »
Hi Pogh, very interesting seal, and apparently rare.  Here is a similar one from Gert's website with Mother and Child in profile.  I bet he will have something to say, soon.

Regards, Jimi.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/gert_boersema/25/product/theodoros_byzantine_lead_seal_c_6th_century_ad__profile_bust_of_the_virgin/522487/Default.aspx

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 11:47:53 am »
Yes, it is highly unusual to encounter a profile bust. One type of profile bust that is relatively common is a double confronted bust type of Sts Peter and Paul. Yours may have Saint Paul, with the balding head but I don't think you can be certain of that. There's no A in the monogram, so the seal's owner can't be named as such.

Looking at the monogram, there's more on the left side than you draw. A T? Or a Pi? Or both of course. If there would be have been A, it would be beneath the omega. Also, on the right, I think that's more likely a K, not X.

Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:58:42 am »
Gert, I think that you are correct.  I am giving this unusual seal more study.  It looks as if it dates from the 7th Century - do you think so too?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:15:30 pm »
Maybe he was a bishop (episkopou). These are hard to date. I guess it could also be 6th century.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:15:32 am »
Here is a more accurate drawing of the  cruciform monogram 
poor_pogh

-

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 11:53:50 am »
An individual at Dumbarton Oaks is reviewing this interesting seal at the moment.  He has commented my rendition of the monogram seems correct and there is "τ, υ, θ (probably doing double duty as o so that we can have a genitive ending), ρ, ε, κ, ω there might be a γ hiding in the epsilon. "  He might be able to provide further insight as to a possible resolution of the monogram.  Pogh_poor

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 04:26:17 am »
I think you will have no certainty without a parallel. On the left, there may be another vertical line adding a Pi. On the right, I am pretty sure we have a K in sigma. Below the omega, there may even be an alpha or a combined alpha/delta...

Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity