Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Early Byzantine Seal Bust Left or Manus Dei or Menorah 5th or 6th Century ?  (Read 729 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I just purchased a very early Byzantine or possibly late Roman seal.  It measures approximately 14.76 mm and weighs 4.72 g.  

On the obverse, I believe that there is a profile saint or other individual left.  The dealer suggested it may be Manus Dei but I don't thing so.  I have seen an early Byzantine seal with a menorah  which maybe a possibility.  The image is within a ring of leaves.

On the reverse, there are 6 characters which may read  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Beta: :Greek_Rho:   :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Rho:
or  :Greek_Alpha: R  :Greek_Rho:   :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Rho:  The inscription is within a ring of leaves.

It appears to be late 5th or early 6th Century to me.  Thoughts?

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Here is an example of a seal with a menorah  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
I have never seen anything like this. Pretty sure it is not a Menorah, though. Could be a hand of God, but I know no parallels for this time period. Inscription maybe ABPAM-abbreviation mark? Abram(ios)
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I didn't recognize the  :Greek_Mu: at first.  

Could it be:
 :Greek_Alpha:  :Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Rho:
 :Greek_Mu:  :Greek_Rho:

And solve Ἀβραάμ =  Abraam = Abraham?  

Also does my dating seem correct? 

Pogh_poor

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Yes, dating seems to be around that time.

I read on the last line:

A M'

So a heavily seriffed M with a 'comma' like abbreviation mark. Abram(ios) is the Greek form of Hebrew Abraham.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Yes I see it now too. I was over complicating it.   Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity