Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman? Conical, Shield enameled fibula + Bronze(Silver) spring Bow Fibula  (Read 1123 times)

No S

Cleaning my house(because of corona(not infected) have to stay inside house most of the time)
and found these two fibula in a forgotten box with "old things".
Wish I knew more about them. I tried looking on duckduckgo for pictures. With coins that usually
works, but I could not found anything similar.
Could not really find the right type for both fibula on
https://artantiquities.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/fibula-pin-in-your-love/

So I might be wrong about the Roman part.
Hope somebody could shed a bit more light about them.
Thank you

Candidate 1)
Conical Umbonate Shield enameled fibula.
Bronze, Round conical shape with pointy top. Has red and white enamel
The dimensions are
D: 27mm H: 17mm   9.9 gram

Candidate 2)
Bronze with Spring mechanism. Has small layer of decorated silver? on top of bronze.
It looks a bit like item 597 mentioned on
Bow Fibula with a Spring Sleeve, c. 1st Century A.D (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Bow%20Fibula)
The dimensions are
 L: 29mm H: 13mm W:20mm  9.7 gram

No S

last picture

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Normally you should only put one item per thread.  That keeps the comments easier to track.

Unless of course the two items were found together.

The bow fibula is known as a kopfkamm split-bow fibula.  Kopfkamm is German for "head crest".

It is made of bronze with stamped silver plating attached to parts.

It is a Germanic type, not a Roman type.  It originated with the Wielbark culture in northern Poland.  They were a proto-Gothic/pre-Gothic Germanic culture that moved SE to Ukraine. 

This fibula type dates from the 2nd to the early 3rd century AD (periods B2/C1).  The type was thus active during the Marcomannic Wars but was not a main Marcomannic type.

It is know as Almgren type 129 and is Robert Ivan's type 3.4.3.9 in his corpus of fibula from Slovakia.

The other fibula is an umbonate plate fibula with enamel inlay.  I will look up more on it later.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity