Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: interesting Volusianus from Antioch  (Read 693 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
interesting Volusianus from Antioch
« on: November 05, 2019, 12:48:49 pm »
Hi!

There is an interesting antoninianus of Volusian from Antioch. There are couple of interesting details. First, obverse reads VOLVSIANVS instead of commoner VOLVSIANO. Also, there are three dots on obverse, and the same three dots are also found below globe on the reverse (!) - I have not seen three dots on the reverse before.

The reverse dots are not so visible on my coin...I was able to find only one coin like this on internet, the dots on reverse are well noticeable, here is the link:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=673408

It looks like this very type is truly rare.  My coin is obverse/reverse die match to NAC coin.

I dont have RIC, so I copy-pasted description from Ars Classica NAC coin.

Ob. IMP C V AF GAL VEND VOLVSIANVS AVG Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust r.; below bust truncation, three dots. Rev. VICTORIA AVG Victory standing r. on globe, holding palm branch and wreath; below globe, three dots.

C 126 var. (VOLVSIANO). RIC

4,41g - 21mm - 0'

Thanks much for your time.

Z.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: interesting Volusianus from Antioch
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 01:18:03 pm »
looks like a variation of RIC 239b (three dots reverse)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: interesting Volusianus from Antioch
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 02:29:20 pm »
Ralf, thank you for showing relevant page of RIC...I dont have it. THX!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity