Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Ptolemic/ Cornucopia to id 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ptolemic/ Cornucopia to id  (Read 117 times)
Canaan
Caesar

« on: October 19, 2019, 11:39:47 am »

Dear board,
Please help me identifying this coun i have no precise size i think around 15mm

PtolemAE
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

PtolemyBronze.com

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 03:16:15 pm »

Dear board,
Please help me identifying this coun i have no precise size i think around 15mm

Looks like Svoronos 1161.  Portrait of Aphrodite with the cornucopia and usual 'OF KING PTOLEMY' inscription on reverse.  By far the most common Ptolemaic Cyprus issue bronze coin.  Hundreds of them, maybe thousands, have come out of Cyprus in recent decades.  Scholarly references link it with Ptolemy IV but possibly produced for a long time by more than one king; the Lincoln Penny (now in production for 110 years) of its time Smiley

PtolemAE

Canaan
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 03:33:49 pm »

Thanks alot PtolemAE that was very helpful

Juan R
Consul

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 06:13:28 am »

In a lot of auctions they say it belongs to Cleopatra VII, it seems to be a little bit confusing coin.

Kimg regards
Altamura
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 11:34:08 am »

The attribution of these coins by Matthew Kreuzer to Kleopatra is quite disputed, see for example here: http://numismatics.org/magazine/cypruswinter05/

Regards

Altamura

PtolemAE
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

PtolemyBronze.com

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 12:18:08 pm »

The attribution of these coins by Matthew Kreuzer to Kleopatra is quite disputed, see for example here: http://numismatics.org/magazine/cypruswinter05/

Regards

Altamura

The critique by the scholarly community of Mr. Kreuzer's (self-)publication was withering, to be polite, but afaik Mr. Kreuzer did not retract it.  Mr. Kreuzer was working on a comprehensive book on Ptolemaic coinage some years ago and maybe it will have more to say about this subject when it appears.

Cleo's bronze coins actually have her name and distinctly recognizable portrait right on them. They aren't in dispute and are also very common - many appear in the market every year.

PtolemAE

djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 06:49:01 am »

They sell better if attributed to Cleopatra VII, but virtually no serious students of Ptolemaic coins accept the attribution.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Ptolemic/ Cornucopia to id « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop