Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 19mm, grid pattern? Newbie help  (Read 499 times)

Offline Ellie A

• Auxiliary
19mm, grid pattern? Newbie help
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:28:06 pm »
Hi. Please take pity on me for my complete lack of coin knowledge here. I found this place while Googling about identification of ancient coins.

Grandpa claimed that, although it is VERY worn down, this was definitely a real Ancient Roman coin, and had been identified as such by "an expert." I am not confident that this is true, because what is left of the design does not seem to resemble any pictures of Roman coins I've seen, especially the sort of grid or "waffle" type pattern. I cannot find anything like it in searches, or make heads or tails of what the design on the other side could have been. I see no letters. I'm stumped. Help? Is this even actually a coin?

It is about 19mm in diameter and seems to be made of bronze. It was found in Egypt in the 1920s, apparently.

Offline ddwau

• Consul
Re: 19mm, grid pattern? Newbie help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:57:31 pm »
Minted by the Mamluks of
Egypt around in the 14th century they are extremely thick.
The only other coins of equal thickness are some of the
ancient Greek and Ptolemaic Egyptian. The reverse can
contain Islamic script but can also be blank. The obverse
bears a distinct rosette

Offline Ellie A

• Auxiliary
Re: 19mm, grid pattern? Newbie help
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:45:41 am »
Minted by the Mamluks of
Egypt around in the 14th century they are extremely thick.
The only other coins of equal thickness are some of the
ancient Greek and Ptolemaic Egyptian. The reverse can
contain Islamic script but can also be blank. The obverse
bears a distinct rosette

Wow- that was fast. Yes, that must be it, thank you! I figured that the pattern would be distinctive to someone who knew what they were looking for. It is indeed very thick, which I probably should have mentioned above. So not Roman at all, but definitely historical and definitely interesting. Good to know. I will do some more research and see if I can find more specific information and pictures of similar ones. :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity