Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Metal object found a few years ago in Stockholm, Sweden  (Read 957 times)

Offline Samuel G

• Legionary
Metal object found a few years ago in Stockholm, Sweden
« on: October 14, 2019, 01:40:36 pm »
Hello
I found this metal object while digging with my friends near an viking burial ground in Stockholm, Sweden when we were children. I have tried to identify it but to no result, therefore I am seeking your guidance.
It is around 22,5 cm long and it weighs 216.3 grams and it appears to have been made of iron. Lee S from the forum thought that the thinner end of the item might have been inside of a wooden handle, however he was uncertain about what it actually might be.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Metal object found a few years ago in Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:57:01 pm »
How corroded is it?  Could it be a file with fine grooves that are obscured by rust? 

Is the end angled like a chisel?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Samuel G

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:55 am »
The end is not angled and most of the corroded material seems to have come of so I do not believe it might have been a file

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 11:38:37 am »
The thinner end does look like it was a tang and was in something like a handle.  However, if the entire item is 22.5 cm long, the thinner end is too short to be a handle on its own.   

Maybe it was only inserted partway into a longer handle - but this makes for weak construction.  This is why the tangs on genuine knives, daggers and swords go through the entire length of the handle and usually out the other end to a pommel. 

The other option is that the thinner end was inserted into the wood of a cart, boat, door, chest, wall, etc.

Likely impossible to discover the exact purpose.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity