Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Lead Seal  (Read 1159 times)

Safak S

Byzantine Lead Seal
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:10:41 pm »
Hi there folks. I have found this seal recently and i did some digging about it on the internet. I have managed to read some of the letters but some of them are not visible so I would like to know about the inscriptions of this seal and which century it belongs to. Thanks for the help

Safak S

Re: Byzantine Lead Seal
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 05:09:53 pm »
+  :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_epsilon: R  :Greek_Omicron:
 :Greek_Tau: :Greek_omega_small: :Csquare:  :Greek_omega_small:  :Greek_Delta:
 :Greek_Nu:   :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_Eta:  :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_Alpha:
? ?   :Greek_Pi_3:  :Greek_Omicron:   :Greek_Alpha:   :Greek_Tau:
 :Greek_Iota: ? ? ?  :Aupsidedown:
 :Greek_Pi_3:  :Greek_epsilon:

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:46:59 am »
THe obverse shows Saint Thomas. THe reverse names Niketas, who probably was a metropolitan bishop. His bishopric is mentioned in the last 2 lines. It would help if we knew where it was found.
Regards
Gert

Safak S

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 03:28:09 am »
Thank you! The seal was found near the beach in blacksea region  Turkey  TIOS/TIEION.I would like to know what is written 4th and 5th lines if anybody can help me I would appreciate

All coins are guaranteed for eternity