Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Lead Seal  (Read 1148 times)

Safak S

Byzantine Lead Seal
« on: October 11, 2019, 03:10:41 pm »
Hi there folks. I have found this seal recently and i did some digging about it on the internet. I have managed to read some of the letters but some of them are not visible so I would like to know about the inscriptions of this seal and which century it belongs to. Thanks for the help

Safak S

Re: Byzantine Lead Seal
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 05:09:53 pm »
+  :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_epsilon: R  :Greek_Omicron:
 :Greek_Tau: :Greek_omega_small: :Csquare:  :Greek_omega_small:  :Greek_Delta:
 :Greek_Nu:   :Greek_Iota:  :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_Eta:  :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_Alpha:
? ?   :Greek_Pi_3:  :Greek_Omicron:   :Greek_Alpha:   :Greek_Tau:
 :Greek_Iota: ? ? ?  :Aupsidedown:
 :Greek_Pi_3:  :Greek_epsilon:

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:46:59 am »
THe obverse shows Saint Thomas. THe reverse names Niketas, who probably was a metropolitan bishop. His bishopric is mentioned in the last 2 lines. It would help if we knew where it was found.
Regards
Gert

Safak S

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 03:28:09 am »
Thank you! The seal was found near the beach in blacksea region  Turkey  TIOS/TIEION.I would like to know what is written 4th and 5th lines if anybody can help me I would appreciate

All coins are guaranteed for eternity