Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander denarius, Antioch.  (Read 914 times)

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
Severus Alexander denarius, Antioch.
« on: October 18, 2019, 10:55:32 pm »
Below is a photo of a denarius of Severus ALexander minted in Antioch. This coin was recently added to my gallery Elagabalus & Severus ALexander: denarii from Antioch. It is identified as RIC #281; Sear #7875. Size: 3.01 gm, 19 mm.

gallery:   https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4550
coin:    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-158299

At the beginning of an Emperor's reign, it was customary to give a sum of money to the Roman soldier to ensure their loyalty.  This custom was commemorated on coins usually showing Liberalitas holding an abacus and a cornucopiae. This coin commemorates the first Liberality of Severus Alexander upon becoming Emperor in 222 at the age of about 13.

The second L in LIBERALITAS on the reverse looks like it was punched into the die over another letter. Anyone care to comment on what might be going on here?
Thanks.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Re: Severus Alexander denarius, Antioch.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 08:07:09 pm »
A lovely coin. I don't recall having seen any other Alexanders with a bust looking that youthful.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Severus Alexander denarius, Antioch.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:06:28 am »
Nice read and my impression is overall sloppy lettering in general. The S  in the obverse stands out and  overall lettering exercution. My impression is the portrait and lfigure were cut by a more experience celator and the lettering by a novice that had to correct his error, whatever that might have been.
Nice coin and must be scarce/rare...thanks for posting

All coins are guaranteed for eternity