Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tooled Justinian Follis?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Constantine XI

• Legionary
Tooled Justinian Follis?
« on: November 06, 2019, 10:07:45 pm »
I recently acquired this follis from VCoin and while observing it under magnification, I have began to wonder if there has been tooling in Justinian's hair. It's a unusually good looking bust compared to the average fare of the era, but the wear seems to be somewhat uneven and the lines in the hair seem a bit too straight and harsh. What do you all think? There was no mention of tampering in the description. 

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: Tooled Justinian Follis?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 05:07:38 am »
In my opinion, the coin is just fine

tk

Offline Constantine XI

• Legionary
Re: Tooled Justinian Follis?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:04:46 pm »
Well I'm relieved to think you hear that and I appreciate your opinion! The coin bears a Theoupolis mint mark, so it's interesting that in a time of such misery in Antioch when rubble and bodies were still being hauled away from the earthquakes, someone at the mint was creating unusually beautiful coins. Perhaps it was even a kind of coping mechanism to deal with the ugliness around him. We'll never know!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity