Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spanish "Pirate Coin" question  (Read 587 times)

Offline Michael D

• Legionary
Spanish "Pirate Coin" question
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:13:55 am »
Hi, I am new to posting on this board, so I hope I am doing this right. My question is about an item listed by an eBay seller that has a Spanish Philip IV countermarked "pirate" cob. Is there a connection between the countermark and pirates? Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Spanish "Pirate Coin" question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:20:47 pm »
Without seeing the actual item, I assume it's probably a 8 maravedis copper coin with a date and/or revaluation counterstamp somewhere in the 1650s (sample image below).

The use of the word "pirate" is just to lure people in, the coins have no direct tie to pirates other than the timeframe.  No self respecting pirate ever got rich by capturing 8 maravedis coppers.

Offline Michael D

• Legionary
Re: Spanish "Pirate Coin" question
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 05:53:12 pm »
Thanks, That is kind of what I was thinking. The idea of a peg-leg pirate with a patch over his eye caring it around is kind of cool though.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity