Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Meepzorp)  |  Topic: Posthumous Philip II Tet, Amphipolis mint 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Posthumous Philip II Tet, Amphipolis mint  (Read 127 times)
Nemonater
Caesar

« on: October 08, 2019, 09:11:58 pm »

I've been adding more Greeks to my collection, it's easy to become addicted to these portraits. I thought this one was special.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-158192

Enjoy,
Nemo

Anaximander
Praetorian

Anaximander

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:27:54 am »

Very nice.  Full flan, nicely centered, crisp lettering, clear devices.  You can add this to your references:  SNG Alpha Bank (Macedon I) #289.
I see that we have an another coin of this type in Sosius' gallery.

I was just cataloging and photographing my Macedonian coins and uploading to the Member Galleries.  To my surprise, both my Philip II tetradrachm of Amphipolis (here) and my one-fifth tetradrachm of Amphipolis (here) were posthumous issues of Philip III and Kassander.  

Anaximander
Link to my Macedon gallery

Ἀναξίμανδρος. Member Since 2019.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/
Nemonater
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:38:22 am »

Thanks Anaximander.  Your Macedon gallery is awesome, especially the av staters!

djmacdo
Tribunus Plebis 2017
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:51:28 am »

That is a nice portrait indeed--notice the berries in the laurel wreath--a special touch.
Nemonater
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 11:04:35 am »

Thanks Mac, the berries are what first caught my eye as well. I don’t know if most dies include them but they would certainly be the first detail to wear off in trade.

I was also wondering about a comment from a Goldberg auction.  It said that this type Was a commemorative issue for Philip's triumph at the Olympic games of 356 BC.

Might anyone know where that comment comes from?

Grant H
Praetorian

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 03:28:30 pm »

Dr. Barclay V. Head 1911 page 224 we have indeed the direct assertion of Plutarch {alex,c.4}Philip was also successful at Olympia with the race -horse a victory of which he perpetuated the memory on his tetradrachms.
Grant H
Praetorian

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 03:35:36 pm »

this one is a life time issue
Nemonater
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 07:39:00 pm »

Thanks Grant, much appreciated!  Here is my lifetime tet from Amphipolis.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-158266

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Meepzorp)  |  Topic: Posthumous Philip II Tet, Amphipolis mint « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop