Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Frosty Athena of the day. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frosty Athena of the day.  (Read 146 times)
gallienus1
Caesar

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

« on: October 07, 2019, 10:48:48 pm »

Seeing ecoli's beautiful Athena showing her helmet crest has prompted me to get out my collection of classical Athenian owls.

While they were out I decided to photograph for the first time an owl I've had for almost 30 years. I was able to purchase it at the time because surface cracking and some pitting had given it a frosty appearance, lowering the price to something I could afford.

All these years later it remains one of my favorite coins. It would be even better if Athena had a crest, but if she had, even frosty she would have been out of my price range! So I'm actually glad she didn't, or I wouldn't have had the pleasure of ownership for nearly 30 years.
mix_val
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:01:21 am »

I bet if you looked under the microscope, you'd see all kinds of crystallization

Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147
gallienus1
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 04:52:10 pm »

Hi Bob, you don't need a microscope, you can see it with a hand lens!

Best regards,

Steve
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 07:50:49 pm »

Congrats on being the custodian for 30 years!  A handsome coin.

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
gallienus1
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 08:59:19 pm »

Thanks Jay, it certainly has character!

Best regards,

Steve
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Frosty Athena of the day. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop