Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athenian owl  (Read 1631 times)

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
Athenian owl
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:55:19 pm »
Picked this up recently.  Not the best, but a reasonable one showing almost full crest at a decent price point.

ATTICA, Athens. Circa 454-404 BC. AR Tetradrachm (23.5mm, 17.17 g, 11h). Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye / Owl standing right, head facing, closed tail feathers; olive sprig and crescent to left; all within incuse square. Kroll 8; HGC 4, 1597. Toned. Good VF. Attractive compact portrait, well centered with nearly full crest showing.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Athenian owl
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:59:25 pm »
very nice indeed
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:57:17 pm »
Indeed it is. Sweet.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:50:44 am »
Have you noticed how many Owls are around these days? Especially one with good crests? There has been a rumour that a humungus hoard has been found in Turkey and they are being slowly leaked onto the market.
Mainly mass classic owls many without test cuts. And good Attic weights around  and above the 17gm mark. And in good condition-not badly worn? And a good size..............ring any bells?
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 04:58:12 pm »
Personally, I've always been a bit surprised that owls command the prices they do, given their relative commonness.  They seem to be one of the top three most common of the early Greek coin types....along with Alexander III and Seleucid tetradrachms (although those represent a myriad of different issuing authorities).

Admittedly, owls are probably one of the most iconic ancient coin types.  Perhaps it's a simple case of demand keeping up with supply (or vice versa).  I don't collect Greek silver, and yet I too wanted an owl.  

Craig

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:20:15 pm »
A lovely example ecoli, I particularly like that it shows more of the helmet crest than many surviving examples.

Here are three of my classical owls, as you can see all are short of crest!

The first, (SNG Cop. 33 [Pl.1], SNG Delepierre 1428, SNG Lockett 1839 [Pl.XXXIV]), the second and third (S.2526, BMC 62, cf.Starr Pl.XXII, SNG Cop. 31, Kroll 8)

Best regards,

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity