Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large Byzantine Seal of Theodoros? Patrikios 27.96 mm 20.96 g  (Read 835 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Large Byzantine Seal of Theodoros? Patrikios 27.96 mm 20.96 g
« on: October 04, 2019, 09:59:09 pm »
I was recently able to acquire a very handsome Byzantine seal.  I believe that on the obverse there is a
cruciform invocative monogram (Laurent type I) reading  Θεοτόκε βοήθει Theotokos aid your servant
And on the reverse is:

THEOD
OROPA
TRIKIO
:<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:
My translation is:  (Seal of) Theodoros, Patrikios

It looks to be from the second half of the 7th century.  Am I correct? What are your thoghts?
Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Large Byzantine Seal of Theodoros? Patrikios 27.96 mm 20.96 g
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:44:29 am »
Here is a seal with a similarly phrased "Theodoros, Patrikios" with the added title of hypostrategos.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 02:53:22 am »
Yes, your reading is correct. It belonged to a person named Theodoros who held the rank of patrikios. The legend is phrased in a dative (theodoro), not a genitive (theodorou), which is a development that took place in the late 7th and typically in the course of the 8th century, the time of iconoclasm, when these invocative monograms with legends in the quadrants start to appear, and of which you posted a nice example. So I would date your seal in the first half of the 8th century.  There is no way to be sure these belonged to the same individual. The name of Theodoros and the rank of patrikios are both very common on seals.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »
Thank you for the confirmation Gert!  If only all seals were as well preserved as this one.  Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity