Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of John - Meaning of Star?  (Read 696 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of John - Meaning of Star?
« on: September 21, 2019, 07:21:29 am »
I have a small collection of Byzantine seals of indviduals named Ioannes / John.  I saw a seal on line which I do not own which clearly is the monogram of John on one side - on the other side is a "star".  As I look at the "star" I started to see (to my mind)  :A:  :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Iota:  Could the star also be a stylized monogram of John?  What do you all think?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal of John - Meaning of Star?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 04:37:31 am »
That is very interesting seal you have there. The reverse has a pentagram or pentalpha (if you search DO for that last term, you will find a seal with the same device). Now, the reason why our John would have chosen a pentagram is another matter. John Nesbitt wrote an article on apotropaic devices on seals (in C. Entwistle, THrough a Glass Brightly) in which he also cites the DO specimen. I don't agree with his conclusion that these seals served the function of an amulet, but he is not mistaken that some of the iconography of early seals is sometimes similar to magical imagery of previous centuries. Seals belonged to the highest tiers of Byzantine society, and I don't think it is likely that these people would entertain themselves with magic in public (ie, on their seals), as magic was condemned by the Church.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity