Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help: Roman Numismatic History Book Suggestions  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Help: Roman Numismatic History Book Suggestions
« on: October 03, 2019, 07:52:49 am »
I have a student that will be studying numismatics with me this coming Spring as part of the Independent Library Research Program I run at work.  I have plenty of coins for him to work with, but books not so much (He has Klawans now as an introduction, and I'll give him Sear's last single volume work, and I have many materials for Roman history in general).  He is interested in studying the larger patterns of monetary reform throughout the history of the empire, and he should be able to write a nice report by the end of the term (he's just a freshman, but very ambitions).

So, Roman friends, is there a good single source you might recommend as the main text?  Perhaps Vagi's work?

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Re: Help: Roman Numismatic History Book Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 05:30:39 pm »
Have you included "The Roman Monetary System" by E. A. Sydenham published in Numismatic Chronicle in his bibliography? A hundred years old, but concise at less than 100 pages.

JPW

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:39:47 pm »
No, but I will—thank you for the recommendation.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:15:07 pm »
Probably a bit much for a high school freshman,  but perhaps fine for college, with some debatable conclusions,  but certainly a full overview, is

Coinage in the Roman Economy, 300 B.C. to A.D. 700,  Kenneth W. Harl

More narrowly focused is
 M. Crawford,  Coinage and Money Under the Roman Republic: Italy and the Mediterranean Economy

The ANS has an overview page on Roman Monetary history, which has a lot of links, which may help focus the project.  I think it is connected to one of their publications,  but that's for the student to work out....
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 04:14:58 pm »
Thank you for these. We won’t be covering the Republic except for perhaps an introductory overview of its coinage which I will present.  He is more interested in the empire and particularly its fall as depicted through numismatics.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:13:25 am »
Although it sits on my shelf but I have not yet read it, and it might be above the level of a high school student, there is State and Currency in the Roman Empire to 300 A.D. by Sture Bolin.

Tracy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity