Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dionysos on Ancient Coins - my new book  (Read 1149 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Dionysos on Ancient Coins - my new book
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:30:38 pm »
Hi all, I have just uploaded the following to lulu.com, the online publishers which is already hosting my "coins with Demos" book.

Dionysos On Greek Coins
Greek and Roman Provincial Coins With the Figure of Dionysos

A greatly extended, English translation of the article "DIONYSOS UND SEINE FAMILIE AUF GRIECHISCHEN MÜNZEN" by Max Bernhart, published in the "Jahrbuch für Numismatik und Geldgeschichte", 1949.
This work covers (and extends) Bernhart's "Types" sections with Dionysos on the coin image and includes over 1,900 entries (nearly 900 more that those in the Types covered in the original work).
158 pages including cities/types index, emperors and kings index, 25 new plates of 38-39 coin images on each plate, 10 plates from the original work.

You will be surprised at how many details there are to check when correctly identifying a coin showing Dionysos !

The price is only £15 (about $18, 18 CHF, 17 Euro).
You can buy it here:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/dane-kurth/dionysos-on-greek-coins-greek-and-roman-provincial-coins-with-the-figure-of-dionysos/ebook/product-24256636.html

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Dionysos on Ancient Coins - my new book
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:19:09 pm »
Congrats Dane.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:05:42 pm »
Very impressive. I am going to use it every time I get a coin of Dionysos (which is often). I hope it sells well.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 10:17:17 pm »
I just downloaded it and I am looking forward to reading it! 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 01:45:43 am »
Congratulations Dane.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 11:38:04 am »
Just ordered mine--excited to read it!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:22:37 pm »
I can't find an option to order the book printed and bound and sent to me by mail, which I would much prefer to a PDF file?
Curtis Clay

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 10:23:17 pm »
I can't find an option to order the book printed and bound and sent to me by mail, which I would much prefer to a PDF file?

Curtis, not to speak for the author, Dane, but here is the copyright notice from my purchased download of the work:

Ver 1.1. Sept. 2019. This work is copyright (C) 2019 by Dane Kurth. It may not be copied or published in
any form, including but not limited to electronic or printed, nor copied to any public place, website, forum,
website, upload or download site.
You MAY of course make a hard copy for your own personal use of course.

There is also an FAQ on the publishing platform to similar effect.

So, with a properly-purchased PDF of the E-Book, the buyer is allowed to print it for personal use.

There are many online "PDF Print and Bind" services that would make a print to your specifications and mail it. You can likely find one with a google search and your zip code.  

I priced a hypothetical printing, perfect bound, high-quality photo paper at around $20.  (Spiral binding is usually less and often easier to use.)    There are also the big chain office supply stores in the US that, in my experience, will charge a bit more.  Such a service is also useful for printing out-of-copyright works available on PDF, although they are usually available only as 2nd rate scans, not nearly at the production standards of Dane's E-Pub.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 01:21:48 am »
Congrats Dane!

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 10:51:22 am »
Thanks everyone !

Curtis - lulu used to offer the option to purchase a bound version, but they have changed a lot since, for example, I placed my Demos coins book on lulu a few years ago.
In fact lulu has changed a lot - the Demos book was simply converted from my old Word (which I still used) to a pdf using dopdf, uploaded, a couple of options marked and that was it.
Now, lulu require all fonts to be embedded, all page the same size (which is why the original Bernhart plates are not so sharp as my own plates, because I had to resize those pages), and some other changes to be made.

I did not select the option to add it as an epub, Kindle thing etc because they wanted one form to be filled in and stamped by my local tax office and another form filled in for their own tax people for payments abroad, and some other declarations and legal stuff, plus I would have had to grant them worldwide exclusive licensing rights, which I did not want to do.

Offline Charles M

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 01:11:51 pm »
Just downloaded my copy.  Fantastic work.  Thanks, Dane!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity