Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification Help  (Read 383 times)

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
Identification Help
« on: September 18, 2019, 06:25:10 pm »
Evening Guys sorry if this is a pretty basic request, I'm just coming too terms with using the website and discussion boards. As previously mentioned in a post relevant to these coins being fakes or real. I am now looking at trying too identify these coins.
This is the first one, I believe it is a Vespasian Sestertius? I could be miles out but it this is correct how would I then go on too identify which mint it was from etc?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help

Stuart

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:46:59 pm »
Not Vespasian.  Try to figure it out on your own.  His name is written on the obverse starting on the lower left

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 06:52:57 pm »
Ah ok, thanks again for your help like I said in the original post I apologise for the naivety and possible lack of effort on my part. Where would be the best place too start with reference too coin identification like the basic basic, presumably if the name is on this coin they tend to be on all? I based the presumption of these being a Sestertius based on there size was that a rather naive and incorrect conclusion too come too? Thanks Stuart

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 07:24:00 pm »
You can go to the gallery and search for the words you see on the coin.  This Emperors name ends in NVS second word is PIVS then AVG...

I'm trying not to give it all away ;D

Half the fun is figuring it out on your own, but we're here to help...

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:29:07 pm »
Haha perfect thank you again Jay :) once I get the coins from my mum Saturday I shall take some clearer pictures and put them up on here along with any progress I have made :) shall I do it in this thread or start a new one?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »
Keep them in their respective existing threads.  It's fun figuring it out!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity