Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help finding RIC# on an Antoninus Pius coin  (Read 416 times)

Jeremy Y

Need help finding RIC# on an Antoninus Pius coin
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:27:08 pm »
The details on this coin are fairly clear.  The only instances of the reverse legend (PROVIDEN-TI AVG) or similar variants I could find were on Claudius II and Carausius coins.  I would appreciate any insight into the identity of this coin.

Weight: 2.45g
Diameter: 18.5mm
Metal: billon?  something silvered?

Obv legend:  (ant)  __ONINVS AVG PI-VS PP TRP COS III
the head is laureated and facing right

Rev legend: PROVIDEN-TI AVG

The reverse shows Providentia standing left, left elbow resting on column, holding sceptre in her left hand, point with her right hand, globe at feet.  I'm not sure what the little bead of metal is above the globe, but it is not an "S" as there is no "C" in the right field.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Need help finding RIC# on an Antoninus Pius coin
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:39:38 pm »
If it's silver, it would not have S-C which is normally - at this period - only found on bronze coins, because the emperors needed permission from the Senate to strike bronze coins, which the SC essentially means ("The Senate has been consulted").
There is nothing in RIC or BMCRE with just PROVIDENTI AVG and no PROVIDENTIA AVG types for Ant. Pius. (I cannot see COS III at the end of the obv. legend, I can only see COS I or possibly COS II.)
It could be a modern copy using an obverse from Ant. Pius and the reverse of, for example, Carausius, as the lettering does look peculiar and the quality control was generally excellent during the time of Ant. Pius.

Jeremy Y

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:56:43 pm »
Thanks for your response.  Your right that the obv and rev fonts are different and the lettering is poor.  Was still hoping there was a chance the coin would be genuine. 

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 01:56:57 am »
Any chance of seeing an image of the coins edge ?

I see what appears to be patches of bronze, possible fourree ?

Jeremy Y

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:50:33 pm »
It's nice how the forums autolinked "fourree" to a page describing fourree

The first picture shows it the best.  There do appear to be more spots of bronze showing through on the edge. There also appears to be seams where the silver ends. 

Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity