Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Boehringer Massenpragung  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Grant H

• Praetorian
Boehringer Massenpragung
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:24:35 pm »
Does anyone know What Boehringers group of coins 104-121 that he calls Massenpragung mean?

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Boehringer Massenpragung
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:30:35 am »
Massenprägung = mass mintage

I don't know for Syracuse, but in other cases this means less carefully produced coins, sometimes combined with a decrease of weight.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 03:18:56 pm »

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 04:28:06 pm »
The Syracuse coinage arrangement and chronology is not an easy issue...

I've attached a summary of the Boehringer Arrangement in 1929, still in use as reference : 25 series within 6 groups.

I have also attached the original Boehringer chronology, the Carmen Arnold-Bucchini chronology which is largely accepted (based on the study of the the Randazzo hoard) and the Hoover most recent proposed chronology  (based on ??).

As shanxi and Altamura wrote, the "massenprägung" is the massive coinage that has occured in a very short period of time ( circa 3 to 4 years) after the battle of Himera with the 2000 talents of the Carthaginans. It concerns Boehringer number 121 to 291 -> 83 obv. dies and 118 rev dies identified by Boheringer.

The most recent researches from historians (eg Franco De Angelis 2016) assign the Massenprägung coinage to Hieron because of his building up of Syracuse's navy in the years before the battle of Cumae . So 478 to 474 BC.

Note that a key stone of the sicilian chronology is the date of the famous Demareteion decadrachm that belong to group 12e and wich is an other story  ;D

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:46:05 pm »
And FYI your very nice coin is ref Boehringer 110 V50/R76 in case you don't have the exact ref. which are very often wrong on auction catalogues.

Offline Grant H

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 05:35:40 pm »
Thanks for all the help,I bought the coin from a company that's been in business for close to  a hundred and fifty years as Boehringer 119,and Brennos I believe you are right that its 110,which is not as rare.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity