Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Verulanium Museum St Albans  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Verulanium Museum St Albans
« on: August 14, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »
Spent a couple of day's down in Portsmouth with my partner at the beginning of the week and decided to call in here on the way back as it was right next the M1 on the route we took. I would highly recomend a visit here if you can make it. While the museum isn't huge they have a vast amout of artifacts on display. The amount of coins they have out is huge, if you check out the photos I've below this is only a fraction of the coins on display. There are also some nice mosaics on display.

Adrian

Offline apgrassman

• Consul
Re: Verulanium Museum St Albans
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:23 am »
Thanks for the info, havent been for a while myself but a nice museum, within the grounds of the old roman town, St Albans Abbey and of course the "Old Fighting Cocks" used to be a real ale house, allegedly the oldest pub in the UK, a long with a few others around the country but plenty to see.

regards

apgrassman

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:03:42 am »
I've often passed by St Albans but never stopped. That's a lovely Domitian sestertius.. perhaps I shall indeed pay the museum a visit yet!

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:02 pm »
Don't miss the Abbey. It's built on a hill overlooking Verulamium and and is the site of the beheading of the first British Christian martyr, Saint Alban. His shrine is in the Abbey. The execution is believed to have been either during the reign of Diocletian or Septimius Severus.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Retrospectator

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:40:42 am »
When visiting do not forget to check out the Roman theatre and the Roman town house hypocaust mosaic in the park. There are also some impressive stretches of Roman wall on the southern side of the city where Watling Street entered it. The small lake in the park lies outside what would have been the Roman city, and is the site of a Roman cemetery. No amphitheatre has yet been discovered here although I reckon there was one particularly when one thinks that Verulamium was the third largest city in Roman Britain! So much of this city is yet to be excavated. :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity