Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexandria Troas, Caracalla?  (Read 1233 times)

Steven S2

Alexandria Troas, Caracalla?
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:40:33 pm »
Finding a standard reference number for the coin illustrated in the attachments below would solve my attribution problem for what I believe to be an Alexandria Troas of Caracalla.  Any and all comments, opinions or ideas most welcome.

Obverse inscription: AV MAV ANTONIN
Bust right laureate and cuirassed.

Reverse inscription: COL ALE XAND AVG
Statue of Apollo Sminthens on pedistal holding an object above a tripod altar without flame.

Diameter-25mm
Weight-7.85 grams
Metal- Copper or bronze

Steven S2

Re: Alexandria Troas, Caracalla?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 12:46:40 am »
Find several other images to try to make the inscriptions a bit more readable...

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 01:01:33 pm »
Perhaps it is Mionnet Supp. V-2, page 522, number 160: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k399115s/f251.image
which is probably this coin from the BnF: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8505964w
It has the same distribution of the legend on the reverse and could even be a die match (as far as this can be said about coins not so well preserved  :-\).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 03:58:42 pm »
According to Bellinger Alexandreia COLONIA AVGVSTA TROADENSIS was renamed in 214 by Caracalla on the occasion of his visit to COLONIA ALEXANDREIA AVGVSTA. So coins with COL ALEX AVG or similar should be dated in the last two years of his reign.

Bellinger ("Troy the Coins") does not attach much importance to legend variants because he considers them numismatically unimportant.
Your coin is Bellinger A293 var. The rev. is Type 2. He cites BMCT 89, 90, 91; SNG Copenhagen 136; SNG von Aulock 1472

Best regards

Steven S2

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 06:31:41 pm »
Thank you Altamura for your resoponse.  In examining the links I find the following:  In the first link to the Mionnet 160, I don't see an exact match to the subject coin.  Mionnet 158, 159 and 160 exhibit obverse and reverse inscriptions that are different in one aspect or another from the subject coin.

In examining the second link to the Bibliotheque Nationale de France example, it appears that it is the closest match to the subject coin that I have examined via the internet.  The problem is the missing inscription.  The design with the Apollo Sminthens and the altar without flame, matches correctly as does the inscription (as far as it goes).  The obverse inscription is correct up to the missing inscription.  I am inclined to give BnF coin the benefit of the doubt and designate the https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8505964w as the correct example.  I do not accept this stance if the example were to refer back to Mionnet 158-160.

LHNUMIS

Steven S2

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 07:51:37 pm »
Many thanks Jochen for your input.  I am not going to disagree with Belinger that the differences in the inscriptions is numismatically unimportant.  I would only point out that the subject coin appears to be a rare variety.  It seems to appear far less often than its counterparts.  I have only found the one example in the BnF mentioned above.  Numismatically, it is minimally of interest, however, financially it demands at least some respect.  Further comments, opinions or ideas most welcome.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity