Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Worn but characterful Athenian Tet OTD  (Read 2359 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Worn but characterful Athenian Tet OTD
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:32:35 am »
Sometimes an ancient coin, despite being weathered and worn, just has a depth of character unknown in modern coinage.

I showed this Athenian tetradrachm I recently acquired to an artist friend who was greatly impressed. She took it over to the window and let the sun light play across its surface and simply said "That's lovely Steve, beautiful and mysterious at the same time."  Which sums up the magic that helps to spark that first interest, and keep us collecting these little treasures from the remote past.

ATTICA, Athens, Silver Tetradrachm, c.454-449 B.C., (17.02) obv. Head of Athena right wearing crested helmet ornamented with three narrow olive leaves and floral scroll on broader flan, rev. Owl standing right head facing, to right A**Q*E, behind two leaves of olive twig, berry between and crescent near owl, all within incuse square, (cf.S.2526, Sv. Pl.11, 11; SNG Cop. 33 [Pl.1], SNG Delepierre 1428, SNG Lockett 1839 [Pl.XXXIV]).

Steve

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Worn but characterful Athenian Tet OTD
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 02:12:14 pm »
There's just something about a coin....any coin....that displays honest wear from circulation.  I know it's an oft used cliche, but you just have to wonder where she traveled during the time she was in use, where her eventual semi-final resting place was, and how long she rested there before being brought into the light again for someone to enjoy her beauty.

Craig

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:37:13 pm »
Wow, lovely coin, wish it was mine.  Good on you
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:36:34 pm »
That is a wonderful coin.  It has a great "presence".  Well found.

Yes, ancients have something modern coins just can't capture.  It might be a cliche but I think about the history my coins have seen everytime I look at them.  I think most ancient collectors do.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 07:59:06 pm »
A lovely piece. You can count me as a fan of worn coins as well. In addition to the history of the coin itself, I also like worn coins because when you are hunting rarities, sometimes you have to accept worn coins or accept that you will never own an example.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:24:22 pm »
What a beautiful piece! Personally, I don't even notice its degree of wear.

Congrats!

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 11:56:05 am »
Yes, a beautiful coin indeed.

I too think about the history of the coins that I own: who minted the coin, who held it, to where did it travel, etc.  A real piece of history that has been touched, presumably, by many hands. I own one example from each of the Antioch officina that minted the dual coinage for Vabalathus and Aurelian. Sometimes I wonder if the token coins that I own were used to pay Zenobia’s mercenaries, and actually carried “in pocket” by them.

Tracy

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 01:06:20 pm »
I think it is a great coin.  In fact, I’d prefer one like yours to the many EF examples appearing on the market, since I don’t want to drop $1k+ on an example.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 05:30:31 am »
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful remarks. It is always nice to show a coin from your collection to others who share your love of history and  appreciation of ancient coins as wonderful little works of art.

Best regards everyone,

Steve

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 03:18:28 pm »
Great examples, Steve... +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 06:04:27 am »